1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Input level too high?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by podoh, Aug 30, 2008.

1. podoh

podoh

Sep 4, 2007
    Leuven, Belgium
    A few months months ago I purchased an Ashdown MAG C210T-300 EVO II Combo, with on it an input meter; a picture:

[​IMG]

Only recently I started using it in band jams, and I only recently got the perfect sound out of this amp.
    Now I've got one concern: when playing with setting, the marker goes a lot in the red zone of the meter.
    I've got the input level turned up to about 1/3 (10 o'clock) of total possibilities and the output level to about 1/4 (9 o'clock).

Will using these settings do any harm to my amp?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It wouldn't seem to be pushing it at those levels. Just use your ears. It'll sound really bad before anything really bad happens.

3. pankykapus

pankykapus

Jun 25, 2007
    Maybe you put an active bass to the passive input. That could cause increased input level. Or if you're using effects they can be causing it, f.e. my Boss Flanger gives a lot more to the signal.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    As RickenB said, your ears will tell you if there's a problem. Also, Ashdown's VU meters are strictly cosmetic- they move back and forth, but are not to be relied on for anything serious.