1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Input on a Delay/reverb pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DuncanFlea, May 22, 2001.

1. If anyone has any info on either the boss delay pedals or the delay/reverb pedal I would greatly appreciate it. I was looking at buying a delay but not sure how well it works, how often I would use it, or if I should get just delay or dleay and reverb both...like I said before any input would be cool.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Reverb on bass is a matter of taste and quality - most low frequencies turn into mushy peas when put through reverb, losing punch and clarity. High-Mid and High frequencies though come through quite well. I'm a (rare) fan of bass reverb, but in reality most gets lost in a mix.

Delay however stands out much better. The best thing for you to do is to try out a bunch of delays with YOUR bass. Some are better than others at different things - analog delays give a warm, lush, but poorly-defined wash that can almost be taken as reverb; digital delays keep the original signal well-defined, but some sound sterile because of that.

Rack delays (eg Zoom RFX2000, Alesis units) and the well-tasty Line6 Delay Modeller (this one is the ****) give better results, but at a price.

I've found delay to be cool for short solos - throughout a song delayed bass ends up sounding undefined...although playing something "dark" and slow with delay (allowing the delay to actually be heard clearly) can produce some scary, gorgeous-sounding material...

Boss pedals a cool (forget about the Delay/Reverb IMO), the old Ibanez DDL delays are super-hifi sounding, the Korg 302dl is a great analog-ish delay with plenty of options.

One thing to look for is a delay pedal that allows some manipulation of the tone - for example my 302dl has both High and Low-frequency damping, allowing me to remove the delayed signal from the low-end, while retaining the high.

rant over! :D

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I own the Boss Delay/Reverb pedal. It's a great sounding pedal (as good or better than some rackmount stuff, IMO). However, I have never used it in my bass rig (just for guitar), and I wouldn't recommend it.
    For bass, reverb is almost useless in a live situation, and delay can be great or lousy, depending on how it's used. I would recommend a delay only pedal, if that's what you're into.
    If you do get the Boss Delay/Reverb pedal, you will need the AC power adaptor. That thing snacks on batteries.

4. Sorry Slater, didn't mean to knock the Dly/Rev - apart from on Bass, it does rock.

The Korg snacks on batteries too, however it uses 6 AA batteries...AA batteries? What other pedal in the world uses those?

Actually the only thing I use batteries for now is in case I manage to knock out the AC adapter while playing... ;)