1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Input on a Song

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by OPBASSMAN1994, Jul 20, 2012.

1. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
  2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Idea contributors will share in the writing & publishing?

3. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Things I liked: Nice bass playing. And a neat tone on the bass guitar, too. The music composition is good, nice song, nice writing.

Things I didn't like: your drummer doesn't keep great time. That was apparent in the guitar/drum intro and also at several other points during the song. Your singer... I think needs advice more than anything else. Kick him in the rear end and tell him to stop being so timid.

So... you wanted input on the song? I think it's great. You want input on the bass, including the solo? Nicely done! If you get the timing issues down and get some fire in the vocals, you'll have one hell of a recording there.

4. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010

Thank you. It was our first time in an actual studio, so there were some timing issues we're trying to work out. As far as vocals, I'm the singer as well, and I was very dissatisfied with my vocal as well. I was about a mile from the microphone, which I think was a major source of the problem. I'm doing the vocal over entirely when we go back to finish it up.

5. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Being in an uncomfortable environment using strange equipment is enough to throw anybody off. Not long ago I was in the studio trying to re-record a track I knew well. But I could not stop F-ing it up because I had a new bass in my hands. Ugh.

Good song, though. You should post the final mix down when you get your hands on it!

6. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010

Thank you. I will!

7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I'm listening to it right now. Good song. Nice accesible structure, I like the intro section. Nice guitar & melodic bass interplay. Your bass solo towards the end is quite Squireish and awesome. Good guitar tone and playing throughout as well.
    Like others have pointed out, the drumming is slightly off time/tempo in a couple spots, no doubt the nerves of being in the studio for the first time taking a bit of a toll.
    Have another go at the vocal. Try ramping it it up a notch. It can be difficult nailing a good one first take, especially if you're playing bass simultaneously.
    Just a couple fixes and you guys will have a solid recording. Way to go!

8. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I'm lucky. I can usually F-up a bass part all I want and just composite it later, chop it up and reassemble it correctly on the computer. My main engineer guy does it for me on occasion and sometimes I do it for myself at home in Garageband if I'm recording stuff remotely. Sounds to me like you don't need to do that for your bass work. It's great as is. But it can be used for anything. Guitar, vox, whatever.