Input on Dan Electro basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Oct 10, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    As far as tone goes, how do you think it compares against other basses? Wide range or short? Good quality or bad?

Past experiences accepted.
  2. The vintage Danelectro stuff has always had a good reputation. My limited experience with the new Danelectro basses has been pretty bad. As far as tone is concerned, the new stuff is not very good. I've played the reissued longhorn, and I couldn't get any tones I would use. Also, the one with the built in effects, I don't recall the model name, sounded so bad it was just stupid. The chorus effect was so cheesy!

In this case, you really get what you pay for.

I'd hold out for something better.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Agree with Chaos - the old stuff was alright....clunky feeling but decent tone.

The new stuff??? Hook a car battery to your cat and turn on the juice. No one can tell the difference.
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Whereas I, on the otherhand, like the Longhorn, DC, and Hodad reissues. No experience w/ the models they're producing now, the Rumors or Innuendos or whatever they call them, but I like the others just fine.

The Hodad has quite a few 'normal' tones available. It and the DC are long-scale, so they sound a little more like your traditional basses, albeit the Lipstick P'ups and semi-hollow body lends for some variation.

They are cheap imports, but that doesn't neccessarily make them bad. They have pretty distinctive aesthetics and tones for the most part though, so you'll have a strong reaction to it one way or the other.

If you do a search for danelectro, I think we've had quite a few threads describing them.
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Like xush, I've played and liked the Longhorn and DC re-issues... The cool thing about them, IMO, is that they're so unpretentious... They don't try to be anything that they're not... You pick it up and you know that you're playing a cheap bass... well made, but cheap!! The Longhorn especially seems to sing to me... A guitar playing buddy brings his to every jam and I always give it a twirl!

6. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    they are some neck-divers though, forgot to mention that. Even with a good strap, don't turn that thang a'loose!
  7. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    i dont know what model i played it was a post 1998 model, used in great condition

i thought it sounded great for a bass of that price, dont let the looks turn you off, dont let the effects youll prolly not be using turn you off, its not like you play a whole 2 hours with chorus on anyways

it had a boomy vintagy tone, definately doesnt sound like some modern slapper type bass

if your interested in a decent sounding bass that ISNT A FENDER a dan might be the way to go, try it out before you buy it, compare it to other bass's of the same price range you might see that you like it

(and sparkles ROCK!)
  8. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Thanks for the input. I should've specified I wanted more info on the DC bass though. :D
  9. I own a hodad, it was my first bass. I like it, I think an MIM Jazz is a better choice, but they are fun basses. Not very versatile though, not a chance in hell that you're going to get good slap tone on them, and they aren't too rockin either. IMO, don't bother with the DC, the Hodad looks and sounds better for not much of a price difference.
  10. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I don't know, I'm just looking for a 60's like tone and this came to mind. If the neck-dive is a problem maybe I could slap on a heavier bridge? If butterfly tuners don't fit on the headstock maybe I can buy a P-bass neck and put it on?
  11. I own a Dano Rumor bass which I put flats on and the tone I get from her is not at all bad for a lower end bass.The only reason I don`t play her anymore is she is very uncomfortable to play,both sitting and standing,due to the body profile.The built in chorus effect is a bit of a joke so for me that was`nt a selling point at all.Light as a feather...too bad I can`t abide that body.:(
  12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've played new and vintage danelectros, and they both sound the same to my trained ears.
    They have that distinctive clanky and twangy sound.

I think the old ones are overpriced. They were cheap instruments in the first place and remain the same. But no other bass sound the same.
  13. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm not sure if I'd attempt to modify one, they are semi-hollow, and not really that 'sturdy'. Somewhat fragile actually. Not saying that it couldn't be done, but I think I'd avoid it...
  14. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, I've owned a DC for a couple of years, and it's an ok bass. I've gigged lots with it, and with a good amp, you really can get some usable sounds. It's not very good for slapping though, and the fretwork isn't the best for really low action, but it's a meat and potatoes bass.

here are some recordings with my DC:

The first two are direct to the board, with a little EQ, the second two are from a miced EBS combo. 02-Prozac-polskan.mp3 05-Djavulshalling.mp3
  15. Heavier bridge? To prevent neck-dive?? You gonna slap a brick on there and glue saddles to it?
    Seriously, I just got a Dano Longhorn, and I like it a lot. The strap I use is leather with a suede interior, so the bass doesn't move too much when I take my hands off it. If you get one, make sure you have a strap with a very narrow end which attaches to the guitar's neck, since anything else won't fit.

As with any guitar, it is good to pick one up and try it out. If it feels good and sounds good, buy it. The Longhorn isn't for everyone.
  16. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    I have a reissue Dano Longhorn in my arsenal. I puchased a Jerry Jones bridge and put it on it. Made a world of diffence. Neat bass for twangy rock sound. I have toyed with the idea of putting flats on it.
  17. How much was that Jerry Jones, and where did you get it? I am looking for a replacement bridge. Also, let me know how those flats sound on it.
  18. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
  19. mark c.

mark c.

Jan 16, 2006
    I dident really understand punchy before I played this Fender "Mustang" bass. It's a really tiny mother with only like 20 frets and it cranks out the mid like no other.