1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Input on fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 27, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hi! i just came across this 1975 moded Presicion and began GASing about it....

the seller asks 1000 dollars. He sayd the extra pickups are dimarzio`s. The problem is that i wont have the chance of trying it out before buying it.

My experience with fender is the folowing: the heavier the bass is : the best it sounds. And for 70`s fender i never tryed a bad one, plus the seller told me it IS heavy.

I have a 78 jazz which i love. but is i PERFECT conditions (9.9/10) and i am a litle afrid if i gig with it is small pubs. I also have warwick FNA which i was hoping to sell to get a more economic fender. I can sell the warwick and with little money get the Presicion.

What do you think i should ask the seller before buying it? taking account i wont be trying the bass.

Also, will the Moded bass sound more like a Jazz? im planning on moding the electronics for on-off switches for all the pups, master tone and vol.... and maybe 2 series/parale switche, 1 between bothh J`s, and other between the J and the P....

Any input?

Frontbody.

backbody.

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    What condition is neck, frets?
    How does bass play?
    How are added pickup wired?
    Weight of bass?
    I've found 70's fender to be hit or miss.
    Later 70's fender tend to be very heavy, up to 14 or 15 lbs.
    If bass plays, and sound good.
    $1000.00 is not a bad price, ask if they will take $900.00
    since you are buying site unseen?

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    How far does the bass have to travel? If it's possible, ask for a 24 hour trial period. If the seller agrees and you don't like the bass, expect to pay for shipping both ways.

I had a 1974 P Bass that I bought brand new as my first bass...it was really terrible, dead spots in the neck...awful really. But I was 15 and didn't know any better.

The presence of the Js will give you some of that J Bridge pickup tone but my guess is that the J bridge position is somewhere in between those pickups.

Can the seller record the bass for you and let you hear it? It's also not unreasonable to ask them to weigh it and give you detailed pictures of the frets, etc.

Ask about the truss rod too...does it still turn, etc.?

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

this is a nice tip!
    i will!
    thanks

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I wonder how that thing sounds with the two jazz pups at bridge. If you have the dude give you a sound clip, post it here because i would like to hear this thing.

6. For about $200 more you can get a new Roscoe Beck IV...

:eek:

7. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    A player, nice mojo, the wear looks to be honest player wear. But the pickup routes look awfully rough, and it'll be tough to know what those pickups add/subtract from the tone until you have it in your hands. And of course the knobs/switches aren't orig. If it is weighty (and it looks like it might be ash?) wouldn't this be, like, a $750 bass?

Mojoman gave you good questions to ask.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

My first question is "wouldn't dropping the price by $250 be much more realistic?"

Player or not, that bass is so far from stock, and has had layers of mods done to it over time. No way its worth a grand.

9. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Pass

10. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

Take in consideration also that i live in Uruguay, this bass is in Argentina, and taxes over here are ridiculous. A Fender Highway Presicion cost more that 1 grand. An american vintage Re.issue costs about 1800 dollars. Mexicans cost 700 dollars..... And buying over sea cost abut 100% extra in shipping + taxes.

Also there is very little market for used (and new) gear.
    I can find in Uruguay ONLY 1 vintage fender, a 77 jazz which the seller is asking 2000 dollars, and is not in great conditions.

Someone offered me a 98 used Presicion with a couple of dings for 1000 dollars. It was very light and didnt sound so good. I prefer this one over the 98 even without trying it out before.