1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Input on Modulus Flea Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Breslin dp, Mar 5, 2010.

1. So in the next few months I am going to be looking at picking up a Modulus Flea Bass used. I would love to get my hands on one with lane poor pickups. I would like to hear from you Modulus owners especially the guys who are playing a Flea bass as their main bass. I am trying to build up a collection of basses again I had to sell most of my gear when I was in the Marines because of a nasty divorce.:cool:

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    No experience with the Lane Poor style Musicman pickup, but after playing one of these, I did not see what was so special. Sounds pretty much the same as a Stingray. The feel may be different and the look (especially the sparkle finish) is something to keep in mind. I suggest trying a Modulus Flea and Stingray side by side before doing anything. Guitar Center generally has these basses hanging around.

If you are still in the Marines, try basscentral.com because they give discounts to those that serve this country. Might get you a great deal on new/still in the box model. Make sure to e-mail them, lately they have been trying to sell me anything at a reduced cost. Great guys over there!

3. No. I'm not in the Corp anymore but I deal with Bass Central and those guys are great. I will keep an eye out on the used market first. Thanks though.

4. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    I just sold my Flea 5 on TB, am keeping my Flea JJ though. Anyone who says they are no big deal , well...everyone can have their own opinion. They are unique. Every wood has its own tone, so graphite is the same. The Fleas are great, the truss rod is important. I wouldnt get hung up on the Lane Poors. The graphite will have its own charachter. For example, I hate Bartolini pickups, but on a Flea they sound great. They are totally solid professional instruments; once you learn to love the tone, its one of the most responsive articulate instruments you can play. my .02

5. rwelcome

rwelcome

Jan 26, 2005
    I did some work on a new Flea 5 that had 2 J pups, I re-routed for a set of Nordstrand Big Singles and installed an Aguilar preamp, really killer sounding bass. I've used Lane Poor's on my own basses and can tell you they're dead quiet, and sound great. Get a good used one and pop in one of the Legacy pickups aka the new Lane Poor's.

6. Thanks for the input. I am going to buy used. It wont be for a few months I need to save up some cash.

7. sirmike75

sirmike75

Jul 16, 2009
    Arlington,Texas
    I have been to alot of rhcp concerts ....im sure you guys are wondering why im telling you this .Its because every modulus that flea picked up and played had lane poor's...and they sounded great ...but he was also playing like 4 gk2001's with 4/4x10's and 4/1x18's anyway ,...I thought id share that with you for refrence.....The post's here are right ...I would never compare a musicman to a modulus ...not even the sound ....I have sat and compared the 2 .The modulus you either hate it or love it ...and that just comes down to 1 key factor THE graphite neck .Some guys like grabbing a baseball bat for a neck some guys dont Every mod i have ever played has the most unbelievable action and feel.Due to the neck.

8. I was an original owner of a '97 FB4 Silver Sparkle that just killed in every possible way. Bartolini pup/Aguilar OBP1 pre. Was the best touring bass I've ever owned. Rock solid neck, took a beating and never whimpered. Consistent night after night, gig after gig, tour after tour. It was my first string bass for 11+ years but was destroyed early last year (long sob story) and there isn't a day that goes by when I don't long for my old "F. Lee Sparkle"... Bottom line: comparing it to a MM (and I've owned many) clearly misses the point. They are similar in some ways (basic look, pickup style), but the Modulus Flea has its own voice, feel and vibe. Play one through a concert rig and feel the thunda!!! :bassist:

9. If money is a concern, try out a Peavey G bass first if you can. They sell for dirt because they're just old Peaveys, and old Peaveys are not cool. US built, Modulus made graphite neck, one pickup. No, not the same as a Flea... I've played both back-to-back in the same store, and preferred the Peavey.

Peavey-G.png

[​IMG]

10. sirmike75

sirmike75

Jul 16, 2009
    Arlington,Texas
    wow...you preferred a peavey over a modulus...was it the cost you preferred???
    please explain?

11. Schweedy

Schweedy

Jun 22, 2009
    I own both a 4 string stingray as well as a 5 string flea bass... both are wonderful basses, but the modulus wins hands down in every aspect. It has a much more versatile sound, but on top of it, if you're really just looking for that mm style growl is still manages to sound meaner than the stingray.

I do have to admit that i play more of the stingray than the flea but that's only because i really hate 5-strings... but the flea is just such a perfect bass that i can't stand to get rid of it.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020