1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Input pad for old amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ddbassGA, May 11, 2011.

1. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Some of my older amps don't handle the high input levels of my active basses, G&L L-series among others. Neither my B15 nor my V4B have an input pad. I can cut the volume on the the bass but that takes a lot of fiddling. What can I use in the signal path?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just lower the input gain.

3. ddbassGA

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    No input gain on these amps. Just 1 volume control. The active basses overdrive the preamp and it sounds awful even at low volume. If I turn the instrument way down I can then amplify the lower signal to be quite loud. I want to do that without having to hunt and peck with instrument vol controls

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Add another pot in a little external case that you can put in line between the bass and amp.

I would probably add a resistor on the ground leg of the pot so full CCW isn't actually all off.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Put a chickenhead knob on the bass, then run a screw in it to create a false stop at the proper level? :)

Maybe just a knob with numbers on it.

6. I may be about to show my ignorance of things electronic, but will a C/bread Super Chili Picoso work here? It's supposed to work as an impedance buffer as well as a booster.

7. Most older amps have two inputs. One is high gain and two is lower gain. If you amp is so equipped use input 2.

8. ddbassGA

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Yeah that would be the ticket. I was figuring there was something like this available commercially, and cheap.

9. maybe something like this? Though it ain't cheap.

10. Some active basses have an internal level control. Again if yours is like that you can turn it down.

11. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    You could also try lower gain tubes in the pre. 5751 in V1 maybe?

12. ddbassGA

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Will check my G&L...

13. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Just change the resistor on the input jack to ground to a lower value. Simple and will cost you 25 cents.

14. ddbassGA

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Yeah like that only cheap. Don't want to alter the amp as it is perfect with a passive bass. Don't want to alter the basses.

I'm working with my tech on a little I/O box with resistor and cap to give a 10 db pad. Anyone have an idea on resistance and capacitance values to try?

Surely someone has solved this problem before?

15. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I know that SOMEONE makes a box like that, I've seen it before. I just can't remember who it was. It was a really simple box, just two jacks and a footswitch.

The Radial Bassbone would work, but you may not want all those features, and it's probably more than you want to spend.

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  17. ddbassGA

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Yes but 4x more than I need.

18. Maybe you should just take the battery out :bag:

19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    You could use any number of pedals that have volume controls and/or input pads. My Aphex Punch Factory has both, plus a DI, and it's a good compressor too. You might find something similar you could use for multiple purposes.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    use the second input of channel 1 in the b-15, and maybe try splitting your signal and running one line to each input in the v4b. it would distribute the bass signal between the two inputs and possibly cut down overloading. if you have a pedal with dual outputs, that's all you need. if not, you could get a cheap y adapter from radio shack to test it out.