Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Input Please!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Usul, Jul 10, 2001.

1. I am going to slam down a list of amps/combos I have been checking out please give me your opinions and thoughts on any or all of them if you can,k?Thanks in advace!

I would like to upgrade to either a decent head/cab or nicer combo.Bear in mind that sound/tone quality is more important
    an issue than sheer power/watts.

I like the idea of having an amp/cab set up but also want to play my new gear ASAP.(want to have my cake and eat it too!:D) .If I buy a quality head,it may be a long time before I can afford to get a cab to go with it,which sucks...

Ampeg B2-Combo 1x15 350 watts

Ashdown MAG-200 Head

Ashdown MAG-MON15-200 1X15 200 watts

Ashdown ElectricBlue Combo 1x12 or 1x15

Peavey T-MAX head 500 watts

Genz Benz 250C-112 Combo 250watts(330 w/extension speaker)

Tubeworks 7200 Combo 1x15 130 watts

A lot of people I talk to really shudder at the thought of me getting a combo,no matter who makes it and all.....are combos really that awful?My current rig is a CrateBFX50 Combo and is a nice little amp for the price.

Usul(the uninformed :) )

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Combo... or head... I take head. ;)

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    SWR Super Redhead, Eden Metro, etc. ... what's your budget?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Don't forget EBS.
    One of the best combo-makers.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Cabs cost less than youmight think.

If you are willing to buy USED and don't mind scratches and dings in the covering, you can get a good 1-15" cab for $100-200. I don't mean Peavey or Crate, but a serious cab loaded with an EV or JBL speaker. Peavey makes a nice 2-10" cab, I got one used for $180, sold it after a couple of years for a mere $125. I recently bought a used GenzBenz 1-12" (same as in the GenzBenz combo you are looking at) for $180 and it was in like new condition!

So the deals are out there. Not to mention the head/cab setup is much more flexible as your amplification needs change over time.

Don't overlook buying the HEAD used, too. Way more bang for your buck that way. For years my main gig rig was a 400 watt A.M.P. head ($150 used) into an EAW cabinet with 15" EV ($200 used)...100% pro grade setup for under $400!

6. out of the combos you listed i would personally pick the ampeg or ashdown

7. Here's my advice, buy a used ampeg b2r head then buy a cheap used cab, or go to speakerhole.com and get one there( I have played the 15 and the 4 10's and the sound good, great if you consider the price) then when you get enough cash get a good 4 by 10 cab, this way you should be set up for ever. If you get the combo in a year you will want something more powerful.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I still say Peavey T-max head or the Ampeg B2-R head.

9. Usal, the only amps you have listed that I've played personally are the two Ashdown Electric Blue
    models. They both sound suberb, I happen to prefer the 1x12 over the 1x15 because it just sounded tighter to me. As for the combo/head choice, if you're not concerned with sheer watts, go for the combo. Most of them can accept an additional cab if you feel you'll really need it. I like heads/cabs too, but, if you really don't need the volume why bother? I haven't checked as I'm writting this, but, I think Musiciansfriend still has the Ashdown Electric Blue 130-1x15 for $399.00.
    Considering that it usually goes for about $550.00, that's a nutra sweet good deal. The Ashdowns are in the Ampeg type sound category, with a little Hartke thrown in. If cashola is an issue (and when isn't it?) I'd say get the Ashdown 130-1x15. I paid $400.00 for my Fender Bassman 60, which sounds great, but, you'll be getting double the power for the same price.

If you get a head/cabinet, you might need some gorgeous girl to help you carry it around, and who needs that? Then you gotta take her home, let her crawl into bed with you during a thunderstorm, and,
    well, you know.

Good luck,
    Mike J.

10. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    My youth pastor/music director at my church has one of these and this is a great amp. It can play my entire sanctuary which seats around 750. Great amp for slapping, however it took some major eq adjustments to fit my harder rocking sound. I can't say you should buy this amp(I haven't had enough experience with it), but I really like it from my playing it at church. A large step up in sound compared to the other church amp I played, the Peavey BAM 210. uggh. I'd take the 7200 anyday. A little heavy as I recall though.