1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Input question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Esquillama, Jul 10, 2005.

  1. If I've got an amp that has an xlr input, and an instrument
    that has a 1/4 inch output, can I use a cable that has
    male 1/4 inch to male xlr to go into that amp?

    I hope that makes sense. I don't know too much about stuff
    like "line level" and "hi Z". Thanks for any help.
  2. I'll bump this just once, then I won't ask anymore.
    I just thought that some of the folks out there with some
    technical knowledge would be able to help me out with this one.
  3. I think you would want to use a DI box in this case. Usually if an amp has an XLR input, it wants a balanced signal.
  4. KJung

    KJung Supporting Member

    It sounds like you are trying to put your instrument directly into a power amp without a preamp? If that's so, I don't think that would work... since your instrument output level wouldn't drive a power amp directly.

    I think there's probably lot's of info in the FAQ section describing preamps, heads, power amps, etc. and the differences.

    If I understand your issue correctly, you need to buy some sort of preamp to go between you bass and power amp.
  5. Actually, I'm trying to find out for my keyboard player.
    He's going to buy a Galaxy Audio PA5X140 (powered monitor),
    and it has two inputs. One 1/4" and the other is xlr.
    I'm wondering if he can plug one of his keyboards into the 1/4"
    input, and the other keyboard into the xlr input.
  6. KJung

    KJung Supporting Member

    That I don't know!
  7. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    I knew someone would be able to help me out.
    Sorry I didn't make it clear from the beginning.
  8. Funkengrooven

    Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

    The 1/4 in is probably Hi Z line level unbalanced and the xlr is probably line level balanced so the answer is ...NO

    unless you use a DI with a balanced out.
    and you don't want to be using both inputs at the same time because
    1, they are probably sharing a circuit
    2, it wasn't designed to be a 2 input unit

    if your keyboardist has multiple boards then he needs a small mixer
  9. From the user manual:

    Using the PA5X140 as a powered monitor...
    "Virtually any type of signal (instrument, mic level from a mixing console, guitar, keyboard, tape player or condenser mic can be plugged into the PA5X140 inputs."

    Using the PA5X140 as a practice amp...
    "A balanced signal from a microphone or second instrument may be fed into one input while an instrument, CD player or tape deck is fed into the other."

    Maybe I didn't read it close enough. It looks like you can run both inputs, but one of them (XLR) has to be balanced. For that you would need either a DI to get the balanced input, or use a mixer like Funkengrooven said. My apologies for not looking closer at the manual.
  10. So if he used a small mixer like say a ART PowerMIX l - 4 Channel Mixer.http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/180623/

    Then he could use just one of the inputs on the Galaxy,
    and control his volume for each keyboard from this mixer?
  11. That looks like it would work perfectly and do exactly what you want it to.
  12. Thanks again. I appreciate your time and attention.

Share This Page