1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Input VS Effects Loop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Insomnia_Junkie, Dec 26, 2006.

1. which is better? I tried awhile back feeding a distortion pedal through my effects loop on my combo but the volume was way down so I decided to just feed it through the input, well I have a bunch of pedals I ordered now should I feed them all through the loop, or just chain them all with my bass to the input? Don't channel selectors do something here? I'm so confused, could some please clearify this for me, thanks :meh:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They are each right (and wrong) for specific effects units. Pedals are designed to go in the main input of your amp, and line level units (typically rackmount) are designed to go in the loop. There are exceptions, but not many. OTOH, some fx loops are "instrument level" instead of line level, so it will depend on the amp.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Correct. Best way is to experiment and see which you like.

General rule of thumb:
    If you step on it, between instrument and amp.
    If you screw it to a rack, effects loop is key.

4. Ok thanks guys, yeah I'm running an EB-180 Ashdown Combo and it has an effects loop on it, I just didn't want it to go to waste.

but like my BP Sansamp I usally leave on but sometimes I wanna play a dry clean sound just from the amp, the thing is the volume difference is incredible so I can't just stomp it off, I would have to stomp it off then adjust the volume for the amp itself is there any way around this?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Doesn't the Sansamp have an overall volume control?

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Is their a switch or button on your SansAmp that says something '1/4" Out Boost'? Turn that off and see if it works.

Graeme

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    If it makes you feel better my amp has TWO effects loops that I have never used. :D

I only use pedals so effects loops are useless to me. True bypass pedal loopers on the other hand... :smug:

8. Yeah it's off, and no it doesn't have an overall volume control but I guess I could play with the level switch or gain or something.

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Gain = volume, in this instance

10. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    If you are using an amp with built in distortion, it is best to put tremolo and delay pedals in the effects loop.

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    What are you basing that on?

12. naw my amp plays pretty clean and my Sans amp doesn't have a "gain" dial but the "level" dial seem to tune it down quite a bit but then it throws the other calibrations out of funk. I guess I'll just leave it on whenever I play. Does anyone else have this volume issue with pedals? or their setup?

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I don't quite understand what you're saying. Which specific model of Sansamp are you using?

14. I'm using the Tech 21 Sansamp Programmable Bass Driver DI

15. i run everything through the loop, and i like the sounds i get.

i may try all direct some time thogh, just to see what happens.

16. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    [​IMG]

The "level" knob on the far right controls the output volume. If it changes the other settings, which I doubt it does, but if it does, then set your output level, then set the rest of the settings, and adjust until you've got the right sound at the right level.