1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Input wanted; reverb/delay with expression pedal input

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by karla684, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Hi,

I'm looking for a reverb (or possibly delay) with possibility to control length of reverb/delay tail with an expession pedal.
    The dream would be the sound and size of the Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master, but with an added expression pedal input.

What I intend to do is using it for solo bass parts, using it to mimic the expression pedal of a piano. That is, increasing the reverb/delay tail while playing e.g. arpeggios to get big chord voicings not possible when playing "regular" bass.
    Thinking of it, a ramp up/ramp down kind of switch (instead of expression pedal) would be a way to solve it as well.

What options are available?

Cheers,
    Kalle

2. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Strymon El Capistan delay has expression pedal input over any parameter.

3. Thanks! I was considering the blueSky, but it seems to be lacking expression pedal options.
    Is the El Capistan very analog sounding? Degenerating sound in delay trails? How long can the delay get?

/Kalle

4. Mini fooger

5. Thanks for the suggestions. Both have infinite repeats/feedback which is good. The El Capistan looks like it can give quite full range, non-degenerated repeats, so that might work.

The MF Delay sounds wonderful, but has the built-in analog sound. I think it will feel to "muffled" compared to what I'm looking for.

/Kalle

6. jloftin1

jloftin1

Aug 7, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    The mxr reverb has expression control and is amazing especially in the pad mode. The only reason I don't have one is the $200 price tag.

karla684 likes this.
  7. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    It sounds like a tape delay - analogue! - but if you want to, you can dial out the artefacts to get clean repetitions, and make it sound much like a "standard" digital delay.

Not cheap but it's one of my favourite pedals. And it plays well with bass :)

EDIT it can get very long. Not sure on numbers. Also has an "infinite" option - looping - and not-so-secret built in spring reverb option.

karla684 and Mr. voodoobass like this.
  8. I second the el'capistan, I've had it for years. It does exactly what you ask for and can sound how crisp, clean, dirty, muddy or sea sick you want!

karla684 and knumbskull like this.
  9. Cool! El Capistan for the win this far. Pricey, but Strymon pedals I've owned have been high quality both sound and reliability.

Any additional suggestions are mostly welcome.

Cheers,
    Kalle

10. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Iron Ether Nimbus SE. AWESOME Reverb.

karla684 and gsquare like this.
  11. Hmm. Hadn't seen the Mxr before. The room mode looks promising. But quite pricey as well. I have some testing to do.

/Kalle

12. Brio

Brio Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    Also Earthquaker's Avalanche Run. All kinds of parameters to be controlled with an expression pedal.

freedomryder and karla684 like this.
  13. Cool! Thanks!

I had the feeling there were a few options out there.

Cheers,
    Kalle

Shadoof likes this.
  14. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Newest versions of the Old Blood Dark Star, Procession, and Black Fountain all come with expression inputs. Haven't tried any but that Dark Star has been calling my name.

karla684 likes this.
  15. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California aka Paradise
    "Funk Not Only Moves, It Removes"
    +1,000

Tourniquet Man likes this.
  16. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Strymons, and the MXR and the Earthquaker. I think Empress have something too, not sure. Hard to find one pedal with both reverb/delay on, that can be adjusted separately from any expression pedal. Strymons large ones, accepts MIDI foot controllers for everything. Digitech used to have their TimeBender Delay, which had ample adjustments for any analog expression pedal, even volume pedals you could connect to it and act like an expression. Empress are expensives SOABs too, even moreso than Strymons.

Earthquaker Avalanche is my best bet yet. There's an expression demo later on in this clip:

I think it sounds like what you're after is some kind of freeze mode, or "hold" delay to infinite repeats. I e when you press the expression pedal down it should freeze whatever sound there is inside the loop, or reverb tail, and make it sound loop or seamless. And then you could play on top of it, without entering anything new into the sound that is in the loop or freeze. I know only Strymons large ones that can do this via MIDI pedals or controlling.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    karla684 likes this.
  17. nbsipics

nbsipics Everything is Always Nothing, Only Different... Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Eventide H9? Price is not for the faint of heart however...

karla684 likes this.
  18. I'm also going to put a vote in for the EQD Avalanche Run. Total control over parameters via expressions pedal, simple to use and most importantly sounds great! I will also suggest the Source Audio Nemesis too. I have one and so far there really isn't a sound I can't get out of it Delay-wise and you can also set the expression for whatever you choose via the Neuro app. Pricey, yes but totally worth it!

tom-g and karla684 like this.
  19. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    +1 on Nimbus for reverb

EHX Memory Boy Deluxe has an expression jack selectable to feedback, rate, depth or delay. I've seen them them pretty cheap used.

Pacodelivery likes this.
  20. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Another possibility, good quality on a low budget, is the Line 6 M5.

Honch and Pacodelivery like this.