Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Insane Buzzing Feedback!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sn0wblind, Mar 13, 2001.

1. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I keep getting a annoying feedback even if I'm only halfway up on the volume, (unless I'm standat at about a 45 degree angle to the amp, then is goes away). Then if I've got the tone on my bass cranked open, and I'm not touching any metal parts of the bass(ie, strings, bridge,keys,etc.), the buzz is enuff to make somebody go nutz!!!!!

It is an old Traynor amp, but is there any thing I cand do to stop this buzzing??? (becuz always standing at a 45 degree and kinda sux!) anything would be helpful

-thanx

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Hmmm... I'm no expert in the field, but it sounds more like a problem with the electrics of your bass, rather than the amp. Get the pickups and wiring in your axe looked at before you replace the amp - if you can, try running your bass through another amp to see if it still buzzes. If it does, it's your bass. For the time being, try taking some of the treble and tone off your sound - that should reduce the buzzing, at least slightly.

3. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanx, I was hoping you woldnt say that....and I dont really trust the local guitar guy to check out my bass, and turning th one down a bit does help,

thanx...

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

snOw- right off the bat, I agree with what yawnsie said. It really sounds like incomplete shielding on your bass. Also, does it have single coil pickups (you don't have any profile info; shame on you ;) ? )

For the shielding problem, the only way to go, unless you are skilled, is to go to a tech. As for single coil pups, they can't distinguish between the signal from the string vibration/signal and hum. The only solution is humbucking pups, unless the singles are wired like a Fender Jazz and both are turned up, which makes them act together as a giant humbucker.

You also said your amp is old. It may well have a large power and output transformer, which means it has wide electromagnetic fields. If your bass has single coil pups and you stand within this field, you get a loud hum. (Or are you actually getting feedback, a howl that swells in volume if you ignore it?). Again, the only solution, other than standing away from the amp, is a humbucker.

Finally, are all of your cables in good shape and high quality? That can be another problem you can detect by substitution, as yawnsie mentioned about the amp.

5. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanx guys, as for the pickups go, I belive they are single coil, and I think my cables are High-tech,...
    ...it's not exactly "feedback" I'm getting, it's just a loud buzzing (humming) that drowns out my bass,(unless I stand away from my bass).

I also remeber seeing an article in Bass PLayer mag about a similar problem, so I guess I'll go thru all my mags and see if I can find it.... Thanx very much guys

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Arent ya glad i used to do this for a living? First remove the output on your bass! Look around to see if there is a loose wire! It is ver commin to loose the ground wire and its still touching enough to get sound put has alot of noise! If this is what it is its easy to repair just soder it back unless you suck at sodering you could make it worse! Its probably nothing bad but you need to check all connections! Make sure its not your chord forst!

7. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    WOW!!! Am I ever glad you did this for a living!!!!!! THANX A LOT!!!! I now worshipp the ground you walk on!!!! :D

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Did that help? If not yell at me i will figure it out!