Insane Car Ad

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rickbass, Jun 27, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Those of you in the UK have probably seen it -Honda's "The Cog." They're not using it in the USA.

I read it took 606 takes and 85 car parts to film......and no trick photography was used. Pretty amazing! Link -
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It is a good ad - I saw it on its first full showing on TV in the breaks on the Grand Prix coverage - very relevant!!

But apparently the advertisers stole the concept from some artist(s) who are now trying to sue or get compensation, last I heard?
  3. The part with the tires that roll uphill, even after bumping into the next one, makes me wonder about the whole thing. Neat ad, though.
  4. i love that ad :D -puts it on 20 more times-
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    A mere 605 takes (according to an article in the Daily Telegraph, linked from the page given above)!

No camera trickery, but some pretty arcane cleverness in terms of hidden weights, etc.

Do you think the ad will gain it's effectiveness from the 'wow' factor of watching it or the 'double wow' factor of knowing that it was done live? Do you think they could have saved some money, used a little camera trickery, and still had the same effect? And doesn't trying and trying until you get it just right count as 'trickery' anyhow?

6. good points there wulf...and i think ur right with that many takes it should be considered trickery...
  7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Someone posted that a while ago, I forget who. I get the feeling it was jasonbraatz, but I'm not sure.

Its a really cool add. I think they had too much free time if you ask me ;)
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think they got paid a lot of money for that - now they have free time!! ;)
  9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

yeah, thats true...

I'm with wulf thoough, they could have used a little camera magic, saved a LOT of time, and still get paid a lot ;)
  10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    that is quite insane...very very cool:cool:
  11. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    well i was wowed...
  12. does anyone else know that there was a thread on this before?! It explained how the tires went uphill (weighted with rock) and how the mufflers went so far
  13. lots of hidden weights, as said above. the ad is awesome
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Trickery, yes. But, all in all, a very good advert. I like it.
  15. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Well, if a weight was attached at just to the right of dead center in the top, the tiniest tap would send it moving. It would easily make a half turn, just for the weight to get to the proper bottom. If the muffler was about half full of liquid, it could definitely make that roll. Heck, even perfectly round bottles half full of liquid roll far and funny.
  16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I think the original post said no camera trickery. Weights in the tires doesn't qualify as camera trickery. As far as doing it with camera trickery or digital effects to save some money. Do you know how much digital effects cost? I bet they could have done 600 more takes and still beat the cost of digital. Also that fact that is was done without digital effects is what gives it the wow factor. IMO
  17. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I'm pretty sure it's possible, with a heavy weight in the right place. The turns those wheels are making are less than 1/4 turns. It's not exactly accelerating uphill.
  18. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    It's all about Kinetics and energy trasfer fellas :D Didn't you ever take Physics? :cool:
  19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I saw this ad, and certainly some parts seemed like they were digitized, but I didn't think about hidden weights or anything, so I'll have to watch it again.

I had originally read that it was just 1 take, that they planned out everything in advance and it all worked first time through, but that seemed a little ludicrous.

awesome ad though.