Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Insane Fret Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by digidealaybb404, Apr 24, 2005.

1. yeah so i was playing my bass today, and there was no problem. then when i went to pick up my friend i played for a little still fine. then as my friend(who is also the guitarits in my band) and i were writing a song my bass just started getting all of this buzz. :help: would any one know why this would happen and how to fix it. :help:

2. Was he or you playing it? Whenever my guitarist plays my bass, it buzzes like crazy. I guess its because guitarist's fingers arent as developed as ours, or they just arent used to having to press down as much.

3. actually the wired thing is yes he was playing it. but i also think it was after the buzzing.

4. I don't know if you have really given us enough detail to diagnose this problem. Maybe it was buzzing because you were (unintentionally) playing harder to keep up with the guitar. That can be fixed by either turning up your bass amp or turning down the guitar. I prefer the latter. I suppose that it is also possible that your neck relief changed a bit, which could happen if there was a drastic temperature or humidity change... I think it's my first idea, though.

5. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    Probably he plays with a very hard touch. But if it had more buzz than usual even if You played it, there might be large humidity and/or temperature differences between Your houses.

-Aki.

6. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Most likely had something to do with the touch, both fretting and striking. I know that I had to learn to let the amp do the work and lighten up. There is no reason to beat the crap out of the strings. I have very looooow action, so I fret lightly, and practically on top of the fret wire, as well is plucking and picking lightly. My tech asked me if I wanted it that low, and I told him, "I'd rather have the guitar set up well and play with good technique than learn bad technique and have to set my guitar set up badly."

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I agree with this. I have my action set very low on my bass, and when my guitar buddies play it, they always pluck way too hard, and they get tons of buzz. I've played other people's basses that had super-high action to accomodate their aggressive plucking/picking, and I could barely fret the darn things, just because I'm not used to that type of setup. It's all a matter of preference.