1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

insane hiss

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vikingur, Sep 12, 2008.

1. vikingur

vikingur

May 31, 2008
    ok, i have a discontinued Crate bass amp from last christmas (25w) and it has served me well up untill 2 days ago. when i turn up the mid highs or highs (its a four band) i get this really fuzzed up unclear noise. it doesn't sound like distoretion, just noise. any ideas what copuld be causing it? anything would be appreciated. thanks:)

2. Solace249

Solace249

Jun 11, 2008
    NC
    I bought a discontinued crate in march, 220 watts and played it for a total of 30 minutes before i got i'm thinking the same hiss as you, completely unbearable if i turned up any of the knobs past 3 or 4, sent it back to MF and they sent me another one after like 4 weeks, played that one for a total of 5 minutes at half level before it popped hissed and then smoke came out of the top, needless to say i wasn't pleased, crate discontinued these amps for a reason i guess?

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Unfortunately, your only recourse with this problem is to turn down the highs and mid highs. It's not uncommon for these low-end amps to not sound great. Start saving now, and you'll be surprised how quickly you get the money for a better amp.

4. vikingur

vikingur

May 31, 2008
    thanks alot, yeah i noticed that turning down highs help, but i've taken a sudden liking to the lows, what about an external eq? could that possibly help?

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Turning down the highs shouldn't affect the lows; but having a 25W amp is a sure way to not get any usable lows, with or without EQ.