Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Insane idea -- Crate Power Block

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by fdeck, Jun 10, 2005.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have been searching for a lightweight power amp, strictly for jazz upright bass, so my power needs are modest. Among the things I came across is the Crate Power Block.

http://www.crateamps.com/html/product.cfm?pid=119

By all appearances, it is a switching amplifier for roughly $200. The owners manual stipulates that the 150-Watt rating is at 10% distortion, so I am assuming the real clipping level is somewhat lower, but could still be in excess of 100 W. There is a power amp input that bypasses all of the guitar oriented circuitry.

Question: Is this completely insane?

2. pat.p

pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    Hi.
    I'm a newbie in amps and combos, but I've been using Crate Telluride (CA125 DG) with my upright for 7 months.
    Everything was OK (sound more-less "acoustic", effects, three channels), but suddenly the amp started harshing and buzzing.
    It took some time and energy, but they will send me a new one, because the problem is too difficult to fix.
    I'd like to say, that - in my opinion- it's better to buy things known and checked by other players.
    In other hand- if you have occasion to try it, play a gig or rehearsal, check in different acoustic situation and it works great and you find it cool- it's OK.
    Best regards
    Pat

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Actually, I have decided to wait about a year, because I expect a proliferation of Class-D instrument amplifiers to hit the market.