1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Insane idea -- Crate Power Block

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by fdeck, Jun 10, 2005.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have been searching for a lightweight power amp, strictly for jazz upright bass, so my power needs are modest. Among the things I came across is the Crate Power Block.

http://www.crateamps.com/html/product.cfm?pid=119

By all appearances, it is a switching amplifier for roughly $200. The owners manual stipulates that the 150-Watt rating is at 10% distortion, so I am assuming the real clipping level is somewhat lower, but could still be in excess of 100 W. There is a power amp input that bypasses all of the guitar oriented circuitry.

Question: Is this completely insane?

2. pat.p

pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    Hi.
    I'm a newbie in amps and combos, but I've been using Crate Telluride (CA125 DG) with my upright for 7 months.
    Everything was OK (sound more-less "acoustic", effects, three channels), but suddenly the amp started harshing and buzzing.
    It took some time and energy, but they will send me a new one, because the problem is too difficult to fix.
    I'd like to say, that - in my opinion- it's better to buy things known and checked by other players.
    In other hand- if you have occasion to try it, play a gig or rehearsal, check in different acoustic situation and it works great and you find it cool- it's OK.
    Best regards
    Pat

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Actually, I have decided to wait about a year, because I expect a proliferation of Class-D instrument amplifiers to hit the market.