Insane! Insane, I tell you! - Ampeg 8x10... not too portable....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, May 20, 2001.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have been looking to make my setup more portable, primarily by swapping my Cyclops for a rc210... but it hasn't happened yet... now to top it off I have come across what seems to be a killer deal on a 8x10 cab. Now I wouldn't call a 200lb cab portable myself... so am I like in GAS hell or what?
  2. Buy the fridge and saw it in half.

OR get a flock of roadies.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Having owned both an 8x10 cab and 2 4x10s, I happen to believe that the 8x10 is more portable if you have the right vehicle. The 8x10s usually come with the tilt-back handle and wheels arrangement so you can roll it around. If you're loading it into a trailer with a ramp, just roll it right up. If you have a pickup, SUV, etc., you roll the cab right up next to the open cargo area, lean it against the bumper, pickup the bottom and slide it in...never having to lift the entire weight at once, which is a common myth among people afraid of big cabs. It's WAY better than having to lift the weight of a 4x10 twice...some of them run almost 80-90lbs. Even if you move them with a hand truck, you'll still have to lift the entire cab's weight to load it. Again, all this is based on having the right vehicle.

I've split the difference and gone with a Goliath Sr. 6x10, which combines the best of both worlds. It'll also hang with most any 8x10 cab out there, given similar power. It's alone lighter than one of my Goliath II 4x10s.
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Check the Sears flyer in the Sunday paper. They have
    a hand truck for sale that'll handle 600 pounds. It goes
    for ~$25. The store'll probably have some strapping too.
  5. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    My whole thing against 8x10's and folded horn cabinets and the like was the thought of hauling them up (and worse, down) a flight of stairs by myself. Ugh! For many gigs I play, the stage is not at the same level as the bumper of my station wagon. I did a gig recently where I had to hoist stuff up onto a loading dock about 4 feet above ground. I did not miss having an 8x10 for that! This is reason enough to stick with smaller/lighter cabinets. Of course, if you have a crew, that's another story.
    - Mike
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    But how heavy is than 2x15 that you have? That couldn't be that light?

I am definately going to buy this if it's still there (a friend of a friend type of deal) I was thinking of setting it down beside my Peavey 2x15 and then taking the head out of my cyclops and selling the cyclops cab. Of course then I will have 2 15s and 8 10s and I do not even play live yet. Heck, I know seven songs! Oh, well... I should probably find a local music store and just have my paychecks direct deposited there. :D
  7. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, my 2x15 is unusually light for its performance - about 100 lbs. It's near the upper limit of what I'm willing to deal with relative to carrying up and down stairs by myself. I considered another brand which had a 2x15 of about 150 lbs., but this Eden's weight advantage was a major factor in my decision.

I'm confused about this thread. You want to get rid of your Carvin Cyclops to find something *more* portable, but you are looking to get an 8x10??? I'm not a psychiatrist, but it sounds like you could be in "GAS hell", as you put it. Given that you aren't even playing out yet, one might conclude you are putting the cart before the horse. Save your money and your back. There will be better deals in the future when you actually need to upgrade. A "killer" deal is no deal if you buy something that will collect dust, no matter how little you paid for it - especially if (as you imply) you can't easily afford it anyway. I mean, I'm in middle age and of some $ means, and am actively gigging, yet I still wait a long, long time and do a lot of deliberating before (reluctantly) diving into major equipment purchases.

Anyway - only you can decide which is more important: portability or big sound. The best tradeoff is to get a small-ish set-up, such as the RC210 combo, and have a big extension speaker (eventually) for bigger gigs when the need arises.

- Mike
  8. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    I've got an Ampeg 8x10 and its not problem to haul around when I have a huge van and a band thats willing to help me lug it around. The only problem i've had is bringing it into small practice area's. Thats why i'm looking into a combo amp for practices.
  9. Hauling SVTs and 8x10s up flights of stairs helps build character......and chiropractors salaries:D

You think trying to get an 8x10 cab up a flight of stairs is hard, try getting an 900 lb sound console (which won't fit in the elevator of course) up a very narrow stairway. UGH. Painful.
  10. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It definately will be collecting dust initially. In fact, my Carvin Cyclops usually is just collecting dust too. It's just the price. I don't know what a Ampeg 8x10 retails for but it's got to be more than $100. I feel like I have no choice but to buy it. It is exactly the opposite of what I am looking for, but if this deal holds up, it is too good to ignore.

Once I ignore the fact that I don't need this, and that it will mostly be collecting dust in my garage, then I start wondering what I can do with it... how it would sound compared to my cyclops regular cab, how it would sound compared to my 2x15 peavey, how it would sound biamped, or even bridged with my 2x15...

You know until I get to play with people I actually have no need for anything other than my 12w Quantum amp sitting under my desk. I use that amp for all my recording and practicing since I have no drummer and my guitarist usually punks out on me too. I am the most over equipped home recording musician I know.

Sheesh... I need a full band. :(
  11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Buy the Ampeg cab, sell it, and buy a nice used EA or Epifani 2x10. Can't go wrong there.
  12. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    If you go the handtruck route,get one with a strap and big wheels for uneven surfaces.

I've been in the appliance business for about 25 years,and 20 years ago I screwed up my back delivering a refrigerator.I was lifting it up some porch steps by myself and instead of using both legs equally,I put my left foot back so I wouldn't fall backwards.Big mistake!my pelvice couldn't handle having all the weight on one side and it tilted causing injury to my lower back.

Just lift with both legs together and bend the knees while keeping the back straight.

also,a refrig size handtruck can make lifting a 4x10 easier,depending on how high your tailgate is.
  13. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    alright, first of all, if the 8x10 is such a deal, you should check it well before purchasing, the cones might have tears in them, the cab corners might be "wide open" etc. etc.

if everything is alright and indeed it is a once in a lifetime bargain and you do have some room in your garage for a 100Lbs cab, then buy it.
    it's better to buy it, sleep good at night and know you didn't miss a chance and then if you don't like it sell it.
    it might as well sit in your garage and wait 'till the day you call it for active duty.