1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Insane pick playing! And a weird vintage bass. And crazy amps....Venture a guess who?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by craigie, Apr 10, 2018.

1. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    As part of the old pick or not to pick discussion---

Just some awesome insane pick playing.

And to the onstage volume debate, I bet they didn't have any sound reinforcement and can you imagine the stage volume? (that's not to say it should be done that way nowadays)

And then a (few) bass mistakes

And the sound is pretty bad. I bet they are not so loud anymore....

And what actor does the drummer on the left look exactly like? (the best part is the end of the second video).

2. Those "weird" looking guitars are probably Mosrites.
    They gave out a lot of endorsement deals back in the 1960's.
    Notice too that they are all playing through blond Fender amps with the original tilt back bars engaged and
    the amp heads that latch onto the cabinets.
    The Ventures were/are quite talented and did their own recordings as opposed to 75% of all other popular bands at the time having their songs performed by studio musicians for the records.

JimK likes this.
  3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Yes, that first video back in their prime was pretty kick ass (and I love those amps too)! I thought the amps all looked the same but looking again the bass amp seems a bit smaller.

4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Just 'a hacking away!!
    All downstrokes.
    I guess there was no such thing as alternate picking back then.

5. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Look during the guitar solo. That’s the good part.

gebass6 likes this.
  6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Um, yeah, definitely Mosrites.

Taking a wild guess, they just might be Mosrite Ventures.

craigie likes this.
  7. Oh, and the drummer on the left in Video 2 "Hawaii 5 0" is Max Weinberg I believe.
    Bruce Springsteen's drummer and former music director for the Conan O'Brien Show

Max. Max2. max3.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  8. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm guessing the two guitarists in the first video (Live from Japan) are playing through Showmen, and the bassist through a Bassman. These days, that is just as likely to be reversed as the bassists are the ones who need the headroom of the Showman, and the guitarists like to crank the Bassman for some dirt.

Incidentally, the bassist in these videos (Bob Bogle) started as the lead guitarist. That's him you hear on their biggest hit, their recording of "Walk Don't Run". Nokie Edwards (who just passed away) was originally the bassist. They switched instruments later because Nokie was such a great guitarist.

craigie likes this.