Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Insearch for strong thick sounding strings. Any suggestions.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dox, Aug 18, 2000.

1. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Well everyone. I am a beginner bass coming up to about a year of self taught bass lessons (couldn't afford the real thing). I would like to work on my sound more now then actual playing. Believe me it's not goign to distractme from learning new techniques but I want a thicker sound. I have made a post about a good amp, and I am abotu to make a post for a good bass. I know strings usually depend on the bass but I am asking about a general idea. I want strings that will produce a heavy thick sound. I hav eheard nickel gives ya mellow so I am pretty sure I won't get nickel even though they last long. Righ tnow I have Epiphone medium guage strings. I have only used Epiphone's.. So i want some ideas to try. I am most likely going to mov eup to a heavier guage but what kinds should I try? tapewound? Roundwaound? Elixers? Nickel or stainless? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. okay, about this thickness thing you're searching for- as a beginner, you may not have experience playing in a band, but to be heard over drums and guitars you need a certain transparency to your sound. you can get a very thick sound that you will enjoy when practicing at home, but in a band setting you won't be able to hear it unless you have a LOT of power and large speakers.

as far as strings are concerned, there's not a ton of difference between brands as far as "thickness" is concerned. if that's what you're after just get a heavy gauge. i recommend ernie ball, they're relatively cheap and sound great.

3. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    I have had some band experiance. How I made my self heard was I had my bass dropped to CGCF tunning while the guitar was in standard. So it left like a twangy thunder under the guitar and drums (it sounded twangy cause they made me use a pick). I am not out to actually look for thicker strings... I heard bigger strings give you more of a heavier thick sound. I am just after getting that thick thunderous sound.

4. blitzu

blitzu

Aug 19, 2000
    Sorry off the Topic

Hey is this the same Dox who used to play tribes for MX3

-Cheers
    BlitzU

5. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    No sorry. Dox is short for Paradox. A nickname I got to doing things people thought I couldn't do.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think "dhc" is right and that to get the sort of sound you are describing (I'm not sure "thick" is the right term)you are going to need some serious amplification. It will take a lot of power and a lot of large speakers to "project" this at anything like a reasonable volume. So I wouldn't worry about subtleties like what strings - just start saving money for the amplification and to pay the roadies to lift it! ;)

7. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    ::smacks head onto hall:: ARGH! Why doesn't anyone just give me an answer to a question I asked. I don't mean to sound rude but every one goes off talking about things I already know! In my first post I already stated that I know it all depends on teh amps so forth yadda yadda. I know that. Thatis why I am currently looking into a couple of amps, (Crate BX-100, Ampeg B100R, SWR Workingman's 15.) All I asked where some suggestions of strings and I got none. I want a heavy gauge cause I tuen down (CGCF.) And I would liek to have that extra tension. So please could ya just give me some suggestions. I am a complete string moron. This will be my first time stepign into a string outside of Epipone Medium Gauges. So I want to know what kind of brand I could get. What's the differances between nickel and stainless steel, tapewound and roundwoudn or anyother kidn of wounds. Elighten me for the love of (insert your god here). If also could you give me the exact gauges for each string for a heavy gauage. My meduim are a 45/105 set (check profile for exact guages.) I would liek teh exact guages cause I might be asking for some strings for my birhtday and my family is musically retarded. And a lot of stores around here ask for exact guages.

8. every brand of strings has different gauges, so it doesn't really matter. again, i recommend ernie balls...

i'm sure you want to use roundwounds, they are brighter and punchier than flatwounds which are usually used for jazz or maybe dub. i have no experience with stainless steel or anything, but my advice would be to go to the music shop and ask the guy for the heaviest gauge ernie ball strings they have (i think it's power slinky or something).

9. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Dox, you keep contradicting yourself. Between this post and your last, it can easily confuse people. Don't get bent over it. Smile, have fun! :) :)

You will probably want to try a roundwound first, with the guage you are using now (45-105), should be fine. If this guage does'nt do it for ya, just keep moving up in size until you have the sound you want. We can't hear what sound you have in your head, so it's trial and error.

Stainless steel: Very bright sounding. I personally love them. My personal favs are D'Addario Prisms.

Nickel: Also bright, but not as bright as stainless. Nice string. Many prefer these for slapping.
    Some of the ones I've used: D'Addadrio's, Rotosounds, GHS Boomers. Elixers also fall into this category. They are a nickel string that has been coated to prevent oil from deteriorating the brightness of the string. Therefore, making them last longer.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    OK, heavier strings give a much thicker, deeper sound. I LOVE it! I use Fodera Diamonds, 50-135 (with a 110 E). They sound awesome...but they feel WAY different! But they sound much more clear, in my opinion. They are AWESOME. They cut through much better.

11. He could always plug into an overdrive pedal ;)

12. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    :D

13. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I agree with the concensus that you should try heavier gauge strings if you're tuned low.

14. GaryB

GaryB

Aug 30, 2000