Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

insert?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jondog, Dec 28, 2004.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    What's the difference between running a comp via a mixer insert jack and running the mic into the comp and then the comp into the mixer input?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Many compressors don't have a built in mike preamp, and want to see some other impedance than what a mike presents, and typically, a higher (line) signal level. So, the threshold detection circuitry is gonna be waiting, and waiting, and waiting, for something to compress. :cool: Even if you you can get enough level through the compressor, signal to noise ratio is likely to be pretty bad.

The insert jack negates all these problems, and is a better solution in the vast majority of cases. If you're trying to use a floor pedal compressor with a mike, that's another can of worms though.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK thanks, but if my comp lets me choose +4 or -10 levels, would running the mic into the comp prior to the channel input be equivalent to running it at the insert point?

4. Passinwind

Nope, -10 is still not a hot enough input, in many cases. But the main question is: how does it sound to you? Are you seeing proper gain reduction from the compressor? You still have potential noise issues with the input section of the compressor, but if it sounds good, it is good, eh? Mikes want to feed mike preamps, generally. What's the motivation for doing it the other way?

BTW, what mike are you using, on what source, and are you using an outboard impedance matching transformer, or ???

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I'm (re)wiring up my PA rack today, and won't be able to try it out w/ the full band for a few weeks. Even why I do try it, I won't have a lot of time to rewire things, so I'm trying to get everything as close to right as I can now.

The motivation is simple, I ran out of insert cables. :)

In another thread, Joe P. recommended mains comp before mains eq, do you have an opinion on that?

6. Passinwind

I figured that lack of cabling was the deal, most likely. Just use what you have for now, but how are you going to feed the mike into the compressor input? Does the compressor have an XLR?

I personally dislike mains compression (I mix jazz and bluegrass type stuff a lot though, where louder doesn't = better), but a limiter is always handy. The accepted wisdom is not to slam your compressor/limiter with, say, a big bass boost in the mains EQ, because that'll gain-reduce your highs unnaturally. Compressors tend to accentuate stray noise, like boosted EQ, and that's not really a good thing.

Generally, I prefer inserted compression only on things that really need it, like kick, electric bass, and maybe some vocalists. Your mains EQ is all about the room, whereas your compressor is all about the band, IMHO. Make any sense?