Inserting a thumb rest for speed playing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpeedAndPower, Nov 8, 2011.

1. SpeedAndPower

SpeedAndPower

Apr 11, 2011
    When i play the E string on my bass i play it fairly slower than the rest, thast becuase i rest my fingers on the upper string do u think getting a thumb rest so my fingers can stop on the rest will anable me to play faster. i see a lot of 3 finger bassists play with 5 - 6 string basses,

2. Are you playing Metal?

3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    You will get very disparate opinions on this. I happen to love a solid anchor point about 1-2 inches from the end of the fingerboard and 1-2 inches above the E string. This is an extremely powerful and precise position for me and it also allows for getting on top of each string - assuming that you use your elbow and forearm to move your hand over each string. Since hand size and technique will vary, the exact location of a thumbrest should account for these variables.

For basses without a thumbrest, my luthier, Jim Mouradian, has made a small crescent of lucite that accepts a screw the same diameter as a pickguard screw, but is slightly longer. Works like a charm - assuming the pickguard has a screwhole in the proper location.

4. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    I had the same problem, without something for my fingers to land on I couldn't go as fast on the E string, instead of the fitting a thumb rest I changed the position of my thumb slightly so my fingers hit the pad of my thumb, no more speed problem.

5. The pickup or fretboard (depending on my plucking hand position) is my thumbrest. I can actually play the low E faster than the other strings.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021