1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Inside looking out scale

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bigbass94, Feb 25, 2008.

1. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    So I was looking at this video

And really liked that scale that mel plays starting around 3:25.
    If one of "yall" could tell me what scale or scales that sound close to it is, that would be awesome. Thanks!

2. jdbernard

jdbernard

May 29, 2007
    He's doing: 1-3-4-4#-5-6-6#-7-1

He jumps down almost an octave from the first 1 to the 3 and works his way back up.

3. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    What?
    :confused:

4. He's playing the

1 = the first note of a major scale
    3= the third note of a major scale
    4= the fourth note of a major scale
    4#= the fourth note augmented one semitone
    5= the fifth note of the scale
    6= the sixth note of the scale
    6# = the sixth note augmented one semitone
    7- the seventh note of a major scale
    1 ( 8) = the root

This is a major scale with a chromatic approach tones, it's used frequently in western music, but you'll hear it in jazz and blues quite a bit. When i say chromatic approach tones, i mean that notes that are not normally in the scale (the augmented fourth, for example) are used, and sound good, because they are leading to notes in the scale, and give the line a sense of movement.

5. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    I dont want to sound like a tool, but that made NO sense to me:(

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    that's because he's making up words. he's making it all up. there's no such thing. it's just gibberish

7. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    Your like the dear abbey of bass.

8. what are you having trouble understanding?

9. I thought this thread was going to be about Merzbow.

10. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    I dont know what scale to use, whats notes to change, and I might have to use tabs, but I dont wanna.

11. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    That particular bassline isn't really about a scale. The song is in G minor. In the section you refer to he is playing a chromatic run that starts on the tonic and plays the M3, P4, dim5, P5, m6,m7 and M7.

If that makes no sense it might be time to get some lessons.

12. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    guess I need lessons cause i didn't understand any of that.:meh:

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Cool scale or not Mel and GFR rock!

14. damianerskine

damianerskine

Jun 15, 2005
    Portland, or
    Endorsing artist: Skjold basses,Zon basses,Aguilar,D'Addario,GruvGear
    Yeah, sounds like you need to learn the Major scale (and minor scale ideally) and the explanation should make sense once you know that.... If you don't know your scales and what intervals are, you have no reference point and it'll only be harder to learn new stuff from other people....

15. I'm not a big theory buff, but couldn't you say that is from the chromatic scale?

No help to the OP of course, but still worth a mention :)

16. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    well you could say anything is from the chromatic scale.

17. That was the point I was trying to make, but I wasn't 100% sure myself so I didn't want to be ridiculed by the bretheren :D :D

18. damianerskine

damianerskine

Jun 15, 2005
    Portland, or
    Endorsing artist: Skjold basses,Zon basses,Aguilar,D'Addario,GruvGear
    Yeah, I mean the chromatic scale has ALL the notes, so everything technically relates to it, but it's fairly useless as a way to try and figure out harmonic relationships with other scales, etc...

He was probably playing over a dominant chord and using some chromatic passing tones (ala: common gospel bass line, R&B, blues, jazz.....oh yeah....everyone plays that!) he just mixed up the rhythm a bit.

But, original dude who posted the thread. I forget what key he was playing in, but play this...

E F F# G
    B C C# D
    G

with that shapefrom bottom to top (low to high) and that's essentially what he was playing (if I remember correctly)...

19. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Now I know why dogs lick people after they dangle a treat in front of them and then give it to them.

I'm jammin this friday and I was gonna use this as a bass line:bassist:

20. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    Well it has all the chromatic, even tempered notes. There are other scale systems than the chromatic system we use, but that is another story, really.

Agreed on what you said about the dominant and passing tones.