1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
     
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Inside of bass smells like something's burning

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tydan95, Oct 8, 2013.


  1. Tydan95

    Tydan95

    Oct 8, 2013
    Hello, recently I noticed that the inside of my bass (Battery compartment and inside where the wiring is) it smells like something's burning and it doesn't make sound when it's plugged into my amp. I have no clue what it is. I have tried to see what the problem is visually but I cannot see anything and I have tried multiple battery's, also the battery's are hot when I go to take them out. I have no clue what to make of this, please help? :meh:
     
  2. The battery is hot?
    Something somewhere is shorting out. Is your control cavity shielded? Is anything loose? Have you bent anything lately?
     
  3. Phalex

    Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

    Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    If the batteries are hot that's a sign of excessive amp draw. You have a short somewhere.
     
  4. Tydan95

    Tydan95

    Oct 8, 2013
    Yes, it's so weird and yes, it's covered and no nothing is loose nor have I bent anything to my knowledge. Do you have any idea where it'd be shorting out?
     
  5. Phalex

    Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

    Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    If the short is close to the battery connection it will drop the voltage too low to power the preamp. If the preamp has an issue it may not work and draw excess current. Printed circuit cards are a pain to troubleshoot, so I'd start with the front end of things closer to the battery.

    I think you may need a tech.