Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inside the brand....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalbass101, Jul 5, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    This is thread made for the purpose of revealing details on how your favorite brand(s) create their instruments (and amps, I guess).I'll give a few example's:

Rickenbacker:
    *They were the orginal inventors of the "3 + 1" tuning peg deal the Music man sports.

Gibson:
    *They once sue'd Ibanez in the 70's for stealing the SG.

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.But info like this is somewhat easily found.The bigger point of this thread is to get detailed info on brands that aren't so open about how they make their basses and so on.

Brands in demand:
    Ibanez
    ESP
    Warwick
    Shector
    Lakland
    Steinberger
    Status Graphite
    Musicman
    Gibson
    Epiphone

Amp brands in demand:
    (This is mostly about basses but amp info is ok too)
    Ampeg
    SWR
    Gallien Krueger
    Mesa Boogie
    Ashdown
    Yorkville

Just about any not-so known info on any brand is fine but these are the most requested

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I can't say for sure (somebody'll have to back me up on this), but I believe Warmoth makes the bodies and necks for Laklands, and Wilkins paints 'em. Wilkins paints Sadowskys, too (this I know).

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh yeah, Mesa is not owned by Peavey.

4. Holy $%@! I like peavey, but mesa is top notch.

Oh, I believe Ernie ball (the man) was the first one to make an acoustic bass guitar.

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    And Fender owns everybody.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    OWND!!!

:D Sorry, couldnt resist! :D

Even if not everybody, but they sure bought up a lot of brands :ninja:

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    And Peavey is owned by Donald Trump. :eyebrow:

Edit: Just to clarify, Mesa is NOT owned by Peavey.

8. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Samick makes guitars for half of these guys.

9. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Yeah, the samick factory in korea does a lot of the work for korean imports of various brands. Not quite sure on the entire list.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Assume this is common knowledge but eminence makes the speakers in most bass amps and cabs, including Aguilar - and Epi's and Berg's if I'm not mistaken. Don't know about the Neodyne stuff. Anything with a 67 speaker code's an Emi - including the Klipsch 15's I have.

11. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Rickenbacker also pioneered the neck-through-body construction method, but that's probably common knowledge for a lot of people.

12. In the 80's, Ibanez put out a jazz bass that rivaled all the fender instruments at the time.

In addition to Basses, Yamaha also makes almost every other instrument, as well as engines for some Fords. The Taurus SHO used a Yamaha engine.

The Slap theme from Seinfield was done on a keyboard :(

13. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Fury was the first electric guitar company in Canada.
    They were the first company to mass produce fretless basses.
    They are still the only company to use tubular pole pieces in their pickups.
    They wound Dingwalls FD1's using the pyramid winding system which they also invented.
    First company to use a drop D mechanism on the tailpiece of a bass.

14. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My keyboard has that patch actually. It's really fun.

15. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Not quite. They sued over Ibanez's use of the "open book" style headstock design.

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Here's some true facts about Mesa/Boogie:

-They invented the process of cascading gain, which gives guitar amps the searing distortion they are known for. Previous to this, to get distortion you had to turn your amps WAY up.
    -Carlos Santana is responsible for the "Boogie" moniker. When he first heard one, he said "S**t man! That little thing really boogies!"
    -They invented the effects loop.
    -They were the first to put a graphic EQ on a guitar amp.
    -They were the first to make channel switching amps.
    -Their Vice President and cabinet designer started out at Boogie sweeping floors.
    -Boogie's first employee still works for them 30 years later.
    -Randall Smith designs all the amps, and draws out all the circuit board plans by hand. No computer aided stuff.
    -Boogie has less than 80 employees worldwide.
    -I still am not one of those employees.

17. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

actually ford copied the engine's designed and never payed royalties to yamaha. Id like to see how behringer-haters react to that one. The engine is still being mounted on the mercury sabre. At least it was, last year. Actually they mounted that vulcan on many things: topaz, ranger, etc,

18. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    We had a 95' SHO and I can guarantee you that it is a Yamaha engine. Right down to the large YAMAHA logo on the valve cover. The SHO engine was only used in the SHO and only used until 95'. After that a V8 was put in (which sucked). The sable uses the taurus engine which has nothing to do with the SHO engine.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, I was misinformed. Benjamin Strange assures me that Peavey definitely does not own Mesa. But Peavey does own Crest.

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Lakland originally started out the conglomeration of guitar trader Dan Lakin and master set-up man Hugh McFarland. Dan had always appreciated Fenders and Stingrays and literally combined the 2 designs in his first basses. The body, if you look closely enough, is a Fender on the top and Stingray on the bottom.

I could be wrong, but I think Warmoth is NOT building their bodies or necks. I've been to their shop, though, and know the necks are finished but the fingerboards are only rough-cut. Their head set-up man is now Carl, who is an absolute maniac and genius when it comes to set-ups. Many (myself included) feel he's lightyears beyond Hugh McFarland.