Insight on Pudella Rapture

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Siggy, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    What can you tell me about this bass? I know Pudella makes an excellent bass and up until now out of my price range so I haven't done much homework on them.

Yesterday while at GC I saw a new Rapture RBJ2 5
    marked down to $999. The card said retail around $2500 (sorry I don't remember) and that they usally sell it for around $1700.

I will say it felt and played pretty nice (it WILL need to be properly setup) but I was pressed for time and had to run, and it's been nagging me ever since. It was basic black so there weren't any exotic wood grains to up the price.

I was up at the LIGHTWAVE factory yesterday and the sales manager is supposed to contact me with a price of a Saber 5-string fretless with a maple fretboard and black tapewround strings.

So if the Pudella is a great deal and Lightwave calls up with one too...I'm screwed!

2. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    If you don't want it. I will take it

If this $999 is a new price, GO FOR IT! its a Steal!

I've seen it used on the net for about $1300-1500

I am in love with the Rapture J2s. Those are fantastic instruments. I have tried other Pedullas (Rapture, MVP, PentaBuzz etc.). I did not care for the other ones except the rapture j2. GREAT B string, great sound, it has it all! If you are not going to take it, someone else will. more power to you

3. corky st. clair

corky st. clair

Apr 22, 2003
    PUDELLA, IS that soem kind of naughty bits referrence
    is it cuz of the top horn?
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    $999 is a great price for a new J2. Check to make sure that it hasn't been trashed by the good folks at GC. Sometimes they don't humidify the place and a bunch of basses wind up with those lethally sharp protruding fret ends.
  5. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Thanks for the input,

I like her a lot and I'll be aware of sighs of poor storage/display.

6. A Rapture is like a Jaguar car, sleek, refined, plenty of grunt when you need it, very well made, and "feels just right."
  7. bass_evangelist

May 16, 2002
    That's a terriffic price. I love the Pedulla Rapture. It's got a wonderful midrangey growl with lots of presence. If you've got the money, I'd say jump on it.
  8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Siggy I have played both of those basses and I think the Pedulla is probably the better bass IMO. The lightwave fretted bass isn't all that impressive IMO but for the money a good Pedulla Rapture is a pretty nice bass.
  9. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    They got great reviews when they first came out several years ago from BP magazine. I almost got one, but never got around to it. They're a fantastic bass for the $1200-$1750 price range, but I doubt you'll be able to beat $999.
  10. Hi There,

The Rapture offers excellent ergonomics, tone, and playability, and a great B-string.

If you like it, $999 is a steal!

(my own home page.... imagine that!)
  11. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I owned a single pick up Rapture for awhile and it was great. Best B on the planet. I have yet to play anything with a comparable B.

Oh yeah, mine had some of the best fretwork I've seen.
  12. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I don't know if Kiwi Jags are different to UK ones, but ours have a terrible habit of falling apart. They're getting much better nowadays but 80s Jags are one of the greatest lessons in how to forget to do quality control.

Pedullas on the other hand are lovely...

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I have owned a single pickup, and a J-2000 Rapture.
    I liked the single pickup one, better.
    Both are great basses.
    $999.00 is a steal!!!
  14. I picked up a Pedulla from GC Friday for $999. It's the JJ config; same color/birds eye maple fretboard/5-string as the PJ I scored a month earlier....dammit...bass #30.......I like it a lot.
  15. i havent palyed a pedulla, but i know im getting one LOL. My Favorite bass player from my favorite band "chris wolstenholme from the band muse" uses one, and its amazing. I know for a fact that pedulla does have great costomer servace and they care about each customer, they dont just..send out electronic pre made letters, there hand written too!!~!! go to and order a catalog, they ship it first class, i love thoes guys.

- w00t
  16. by the way, 12bass, that is a georgeus looking bass. How much did you but it for.

- w00t
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've heard the Raptures are fantastic. I have a fretless ThunderBolt 5. It's a similar shape, but has the mini-soapbar pickups.

18. Hey Impulsee,

The RB5 was purchased new in 1997 as sort of a college graduation present to myself. I believe that I paid around $1800 Canadian, which was about $1200 US at the time. It's hard to see in the picture, but there is some beautiful flame in the soft maple body, something I consider a bonus for Pedulla's "inexpensive" line.

Recently I replaced the single Bartolini 66BD5C-T humbucker with a 72BD5CX-T humbucker, one of the new CX series. The CX sounds similar to the Lane Poor wide apertures in my Hamer Chaparral 12-string. The CX is a very clear sounding pickup and sounds a lot more alive than the stock humbucker. I have had a bit of trouble with the radius of the pickup being a bit too flat for the Pedulla's neck.

By the way, Muse is pretty cool.... Now, I wonder if they've ever listened to Radiohead's album "The Bends"....

(my own home page.... imagine that!)
  19. I have his twin brother in the JJ config....
  20. sobi are you in the army...mabye even the army band??~??

- w00t