1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Insights into Cancer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I just read through the thread about Richard Wright dying of Cancer and I thought I'd share this article I have come across that has interesting insights into Cancer.

A close friend of my family recently had his wife die of breast cancer. After learning about the devastating ordeal he went through... well its just a heartbreaking disease.:(

2. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    My Father and only brother both died of cancer, thanks for sharing the info, and very sorry to hear about your friends loss. Thanks for the good info, and God Bless. Rick

3. Hmm, wouldnt say that is exactly spot on.

It sounds more like it is talking about mutated cells, not nessicarily cancer cells (I wouldnt say some of what it is saying meets the criteria to mean cancer cells).

A good paper on cancer is Hanahan, D. and Weinberg, R.A. (2000) "The Hallmarks of Cancer" Cell 100, 57–70

http://www.weizmann.ac.il/home/fedomany/Bioinfo05/lecture6_Hanahan.pdf

I have lost a few people to cancer, the hardest hitting was a school friend, few years younger than me, passed away earlier this year at the age of 19 :(

Sorry for your friends loss :(

4. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I'm sorry about your friend's loss. I lost several family members to one form of cancer or another.

I'm not very convinced that this article is credible. I would definitely do more research on the subject.

The Hanahan, D. and Weinberg, R.A. (2000) "The Hallmarks of Cancer" Cell 100, 57–70 paper recommended by i_got_a_mohawk is a very good place to start.

One of the chief contributors to most cancers is longevity. People live significantly longer today compared to several generations ago (or even a few generations ago). Cancers (broad category of diseases with similar traits) are basically chronic diseases as compared to acute diseases (i.e., infectious diseases). Genetics and other factors do lead some people to develop cancer regardless of age.

5. I wish I had read the whole list and not just the first few points, wow some of that is just plain wrong!

6. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Well... Bassist's heart was in the right place. Thanks Bassist. I will definitely read the other recommended items. My Dad died from cancer so I am always wanting to learn how to prevent it anyway I can.

7. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Yeah... that's pretty full of innacuracies... even without snopes, it doesn't take much biology to see the mistakes.

But, that's not to say that it'd hurt to eat some vegetables and get some exercise like it suggests.

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Sounds like some viral marketing for a upcoming "the vegetable cancer-free diet" book. I'm wondering if they're pushing some "home-made natural vitamins" on the side..

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Which parts are incorrect?

I thought it was pretty illuminating, but then I am no science wiz.

10. Hawaii Islander

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I'm very tempted to say ALL of it. It's not ALL wrong but there are problems with just about every section. It would be easiest and more productive for you to read the other paper listed in this thread, or visit the American Cancer Society website for a list of publications on the subject.

To put it mildly, the paper you posted by John Hopkins (should be Johns Hopkins) would receive a grade of F if submitted to a cell biology course.

As I stated before, many members of my family died from cancer, including my mother. So, I take this subject very seriously. I also studied the topic to varying degrees as an undergraduate and graduate student in the biological sciences. I earned a BA, biology, MS, microbiology, MPH (Master of Public Health) environmental and occupational health, and completed 3-years into a PhD in molecular biosciences and bioengineering. While, I’m not an expert on the subject, I do know enough to say that the paper you posted is not giving you valid information. Again, please look up info from reliable sources such as the American Cancer Society, Journal of American Medical Association or http://www.hopkinskimmelcancercenter.org/.

11. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta

I agree competely... I literally meant that if all you take out of it is that eating a few veggies and getting some exercise is probably good for you then you probably did good... Isn't going to kill cancer, but its not going to hurt.

As for inaccuracies, I don't have lots of time right now, but a few things...

Eating less meat isn't going to free up enzymes to attack cancer cells... Different enzymes circulate, and deal with digestion and immune fnuction.

An alkaline environment isn't necessarily healthier somehow than acidic... your body really needs a pH balance in an optimum range, and it controls tht pretty well most of the time.

The cancer cell stuff was pretty vague and its kind of a stretch to say that cancer is caused by immune or nutritional deficiencies... its been pretty well studied, and as far as I've read or learned, thats not really true.

Plants don't provide liver enzymes as far as I know... and if they did, they'de probably be digested by the protien degrading enzymes in the gut. And probably wouldn't be absorbed as protiens, but di or tripeptides, or amino acids... there's exceptions to all those generalizations, but thats usually the case.

Thats all for now since I have to run, but lots of things in there are vague, and AFAIK not supported by anything I've read, or even common sense after some biology courses. I agree with hawaii isalnders suggestions.

12. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    My mother died from ovarian cancer when she was 52. Effing horrible. Unfortunately, I'm still pretty ignorant on the subject. The more you know, the more you realize you don't know...

13. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Eating healthful foods and excercising is always good advise however, the article is bunk.

There are different types of cancer and despite all the research there are still many unknowns. Early detection is very important to properly diagnose and treat cancer and detection methods are improving. In my experience I believe in the importance of keeping a positive mental attitude. It helps one deal with the ordeal and helps speed ones recovery, the doctors I know feel the same way. But a positive mental/spiritual attitude alone isn't going to cure you or serve as an effective alternative to proper treatment.

And yes, radiation treatments suck!

Cheers,
    Basshappi A.K.A. Cancer survivor

14. My wife is a Registered Dietician who worked the cancer wing at her previous hospital. We lost a good friend to a brain tumor a year and a half ago and my mother is cancer survivor who was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years back. To the best of my knowledge, she has never discussed any of the points from that "article" with anyone, least of all my mother or Eric when they were battling cancer. I'll ask her to address the article this evening if she has time.

Mike

15. When it comes to cancer two little words come to mind - STOP SMOKING!

16. Hawaii Islander

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    If only it were that simple. BTW: It is not. Cigarettes are the leading poster child for cancer causing agents, but the cold hard truth is, it is only ONE of many, many causes. The sad fact remains that even if smoking cigarettes or any other tobacco products were completely eliminated, significant cancer rates would still occur (even lung cancer). Also, if a person smoked cigarettes early in life, but never smoked again, they still could have cancer develop if a mutation occurred originally and the cell survived through the years AND was subjected to several other mutations along the way.

There are many health reasons why it is good to stop smoking (or not start to begin with), but the elimination of tobacco products, I’m sad to say, will not eliminate cancer.
    There are simply too many factors involved in cancer development to base the primary emphasis on eliminating root causes. There are just too many to eliminate.

In my view, vigorous and aggressive research to develop effective treatments and/or cures are our best hope of making lasting in-roads to defeating cancer and it's devastating effects.

My 2 cents.

17. ...and I'd be willing to bet that you don't have enough medical knowledge to diagnose the common cold. Your theory doesn't sound evil, it sounds ill-informed. You didn't know the guy, his age when diagnosed, his his age at the time of death, his diet, anything about his cancer, what eventually killed him or really jack squat about him.

Based on what we can factually determine that you didn't know about this case, I don't know how you can actually believe the crap your typing, much less expect anyone to take it seriously. Tell me, how did you arrive at this conclusion?

Mike

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Cancer is a truly evil thing that nobody should experience. Before I was married to my wife, she had an aggressive, rare form of breast cancer. She swears it was due to the birth control she was taking at the time. The timeframe of when she started the pill and when she was diagnosed was uncanny. Without adding any redundancy to the thread, I'd say that cancer can strike anyone under the right conditions. Although there are probably scientific barriers that I'd have to jump to prove what I've mentioned, there's not much that passes your gut feeling. Whatever the case may be, be sure you are well insured.

19. How many years ago did your wife suffer from the cancer?

And while the birth control may be the easy thing to blame, it could be nothing more than coincidence. There are errors in our DNA when it replicates, it happens, the errors happening in specific places can cause the starting point of cancer development. There doesnt have to be something to blame, it can just happen.

+1

As someone who has also lost a friend to a brain tumour please do not post in any way to try and make light of the situation. Brain tumours are horrible in that it is like loosing someone to a sudden mental condition very quickly. They forget who you are, loose the ability to speak or respond. It may sound horrible but to an extent the person suffering with the brain tumour can be long gone before the cancer kills their body.