insomnia help. Is there a DR. in the house?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Jan 8, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

well Ive been dealing with insomnia for the last 3 weeks. It started shortly after I ended my antibiotics for pneumonia.

Example: Friday I got up at 6 am for work. Was up till midnight with band practice, but wasnt able to fall asleep until 2:30 am . Slept till 9:30 am(Sat.).
    Went to bed on Sat. at 11:30pm, didnt fall asleep until 4 am. Slept till 9 am.

Another thing is when I was sick, I stopped drinking caffeine. I was never a junky just 3-4 soda pops a day at most.

Since I was sick no soda.

I took some Triazadone(sp?). It helped me stay asleep. But I am so pysched out of not sleeping that I cant get to sleep.

I'll have dumb song going thru my head, song I dont even like. Imagine trying to sleep you've been in bed for 2 hours and the only thing going thru your head is

"She's a brick house, owwwwww!!"

Or freaking out on every little sound I hear in the house.

Man Im lossing it!!! 2 hours some nights sometimes 5 1/2 if I get lucky!!

Man I feel like Im loosing my mind!! Im so freaking darn frustrated!!
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm somewhat of an insomniac myself...last night I didn't get to bed till...well...5 AM.

I usually get to bed around 2 or 3 am....not because I want to, but usually I just can't get to sleep.

I usually have dumb songs in my head that keep me up, problem is I usually only know the chorus and maybe one verse, but I'll know the rhythm so I end up tapping my foot to the beat in my head, while laying in bed. I know a few hardcore insomniacs, they all function well enough, but I just can't get over how nice it feels to goto bed at like 10 or so and get up at 6 and have the whole day from early morning till the night, it feels like you are getting 2 days worth of day :D

I'm still a punk little kid on a winter break so I have the liberty to stay in till 12....but when I go back to school I will have to wake at 6 everyday.

Its hard to change sleeping schedules, but I would recommend not drugging yourself up too much. I'm not a big fan of stuff that helps you sleep, it always makes me feel bad in the long run.

I'm sorry your not feeling well, how comfortable is your bed? at least if your not getting enough sleep you can get really comfortable sleep :D
  3. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    *mommy voice on*
    Aw whats the matter? Are we feeling a little cranky?
    *mommy voice on*:D

Seriously, try warm milk, counting about about a song like ... I'm a brick house...j/k

Put the tv on if you have one in your room, turn the volume down very low and fall asleep to it...Morningdove has to do this for she has insomnia and has had it since the beginning of time...and she is older than dirt...She states that this helps her not hear every little noise in the house. It also will keep from thinking and singing brick house songs....

I do hope this helps, and I wasn't making fun...just adding a little laughter in your dilemma.;)
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well another thing that I forgot to mention is that we're in the process of recording and writing. Plus we havent been playing out for about 6 months now and we've been busting our butts to get ready for a bunch.
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Have you tried Tylenol PM or some other anti-histamine?
  6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yes I did, thats what I used on Sat. to knock myself out(Benedryl) took 75 mgs. It seemed to help but i dont want to be popping Benedryl every night.

Thanx for the tips!!:)
  7. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    That is probably the problem...Sounds like you are under a lot of stress...Don't take this the wrong way, but try some breathing exercises. Thay may help...You must clear your mind before going to bed...Don't lay down until this has been accomplished...I need to take my own advice:( ;)
  8. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Well according to your profile, you're going to turn 90 this year, so I'd say that pretty much explains it. Besides, you have so little time left, why waste it sleeping? :D

Seroiusly, as a former and sometimes still insomniac myself, although not a Dr., there are some things you can try. If it becomes chronically persistent you really should seek help.

Here's some ideas that helped me, some were based on professional advice some on just trial and error.

- Take a hot shower right before you go to bed. You'll feel warm at first and not even want to get under the covers, but as your body cools, it induces a natural drowsiness affect.

- Get one of those "Dream Machines" they have out now. These are clock radios that have the option of Nature Sounds like ocean waves, rain forests, babbling brooks, nights in the forest etc... I sleep to the sound of the ocean every night now even though I live 150 miles from one. Works great. Very relaxing.

- Eat a couple of banannas before bed. They have some stuff in them including potassium that is a natural sleep enhancer kind of like Turkey but a lot healthier.

- If you can't sleep, get up, go do something. Read a book, play some scales, watch TV. If you don't, your brain soon associates your bed as a stressfull place where you toss and turn all night. Kind of like performance anxiety and impotence. The more you worry about it, the more likely it is to happen. [Note, I'm not speaking from experience on that impotence thing :D ]

- If it's just all tied into your gig preparation, you'll probably be stressed until that situation resolves itself. I recently had an insonmia bout in getting ready for a big Christmas concert. The week before, I had some problems, the night before I barely slept at all, as soon as it was over, it was back to normal sleep.

- Lastly, if you are going to think about a song, please find something other than Brick House for crying out loud!! LOL

Good luck. Hope it passes for ya.
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Good tips LoJoe.

Actually I was born in 72'. For some reason always been weird about giving my full birthday info, and NO Im not nerotic!!

BrickHouse- Dont own it, never played it, and no idea way that would be going thru my head. Its better than B-I-N-G-O and BINGO was his name-O.

That clock idea sounds like one to try, lately Ive been running a fan, but I hate hearing it blowing things around.
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Awe, geeze! Now that song's in MY head!:mad:
  11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Don't read or do your taxes in bed. Try and do "active" things in someplace other than your beroom. (Don't read too much into that. I mean don't do jumping jacks there.) Get into the habit of associating your bedroom with sleep and sleep alone.

And I can vouch for the banana thing. :)
  12. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Some suggestions:

- anything to generate low-level 'white noise' - the dream machine thing, a fan or window a/c running on fan-only, etc.

- melatonin is the best OTC sleep aid I've found. Initially I had to take a time release formula or else I'd find myself wide awake in the middle of the night. Haven't had that problem recently, but I still stick to this regimen when possible: 3 mg time release pill, plus a 1 mg. quick-dissolving sublingal pill. Diphenhydramine (antihistamine) pills are bad news for me - they don't do much to help me fall asleep (at recommended dosages, anyway) but they sure make it hard to wake up!

- try to keep a regular sleep schedule. That can be especially tough for a musician, but it helps a lot.

- if all else fails: Count backwards from 100 in multiples of 7. Surprisingly, this occupies enough mental resources to block out 'Brick House' and the like, yet is dull enough to allow you to relax and fade off. Once you've got multiples of 7 down pat, you may need to switch to different numbers to keep your brain engaged with the task.

Good luck!
  13. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    As a life-long insomniac, I have tried everything that can be tried, to no avail. I believe that some of us run on a different "clock" than others, therefore I have learned to accept and deal with it. People call us lazy or abnormal when its really just the way you are wired and there's not much you can do about it! You can train your body to run on less sleep, which is what I've done. My mom says I was an insomniac from the day I was born! I never really get going until after lunch time everyday. Been that way all my life.

Since this is a new thing for you, the other posters suggested some good ideas. And, since yours is probably psychologically induced, get to the root problem and fix that. Then you should return to your regular sleep cycle.

As they say "the more you sleep, the more you want to sleep.":cool:

BTW at least "Brick House" has a badass groove!
  14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Now its B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name-O.

secretdonkey- with the melatonin, do you take that right before bed?? Does it help you fall asleep??
  15. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    I agree with the white noise idea, or a noise machine. I have one that produces sounds of rain, ocean waves, wind, thunder, etc. You can always find one to calm you. If you try this for a week and it still doesn't work. You have fallen into a syndrome that needs medication to correct itself. Ambien 5 or 10 milligram tablets (prescription only) will work fine. One ambien taken at bedtime WILL put you to sleep and you will have no hangover the next day. Two weeks or so of taking ambien should correct your sleep pattern and get you back to a normal rythm (back in the groove). Other similar medications exist, but ambien and sonata are the best. Sweet dreams
  16. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thanx- A friend suggested I need more lovin before going to bed. But the cat keeps getting away from me!:eek:
  17. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    45 min - hour before bed (it is now 36 min. past my self-imposed bedtime, oh the irony). Yes, it helps me to fall asleep. If you buy a bottle, the dosage instructions may tell you to take no more than 1-3 mg. But, studies have shown that 6 mg. can be taken daily long term with no problems. As I said earlier, I usually do 4 mg.

Give the counting backwards thing a try too if you find that you have songs or thoughts that you can't put out of your mind. I know it sounds suspiciously like counting sheep, and I was dubious at first, but it works better than you might think.
  18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
  19. 8mm

8mm Guest

Jan 7, 2003
    put on some headphones an listen to some music "quietly" tha works for me,morphine works to j/m:D
  20. Do lots of physical excercise during the day, so that you don't to have energy when you hit the sack. If that doesn't work.....well.....uhhh........look over there!
    (sound of my foot steps sprinting away)
    (sound of door slamming)
    (sound of car burning out)
    (sound of plane leaving country)