Inspiration - How much comes from others?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JeremyBender, Nov 11, 2002.

1. JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    Hey folks..

Just a curious question. I suppose over the years I've always tried to play bass like the guys I love most, but the more I learn about music, the less I play like my bass heroes, and more like myself. (At least I try)

At what point does that come for other people?

How much should we play our favorite songs over and over and does that make you a better player? I am just wondering if anyone came to a similar realization in their playing. I don't sit there and play other people's bass lines anymore, but at the same time, I cannot deny learning all those bass lines over the years had an impact on my playing. Is it the same for other people?
  2. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Same thing happened to me, though it was very gradual (I guess) because I never noticed until I had completely stopped playing others' bass lines. I think as I grow more mature in my musicianship I am able take so much more from the music I listen to than I ever had from simply replaying someone else's music.

*warm fuzzies* I guess it's all part of growing up. :D *warm fuzzies*
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I think we all play like our influances. Yes we all have our own unique style of playing, what I mean is, those who inspire us we tend to play like, so if you like a wide varity of bassists you will play similarly to them and they all will mold you into your own particular style of playing. I happen to like Jamerson and Jerry Scheff alot (just to name two of many) and when I have to lay down a line, its my own style that has been shaped by those 2 men. That make sense? Its kinda hard for me to explain it in type.