Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

inspiration?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JacksonsMen, Dec 13, 2005.

1. alright, so im pretty new to building intruments, ive tried in the past with an old guitar, took it apart and stripped it, with every intention of rebuilding it, just in a different color, and ended up destroying a pretty decent guitar (nothing too special, just an old Ibanex RG, but still)

i know that most of the time the reason i get the urge to do something new (change the color or play around with different hardware) is because i get tired of the old things.

i was just wondering where you all that actually build from scratch get your ideas from.

and how the hell do you decide on a design or finish your going to stick with, for my project P ive got so many different ideas kicking around that i think by the time i settle on one the wood will have rotten away (by the way, if anyone wants to help me out with that and get a little creative your more than welcome)

just wondering

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Some of my best ideas come to me while I'm sitting bored at work. What can I say, my mind wanders a bit. Of course, I've also got far too many ideas to get into action at any given time, so I mostly just pick the one that's the most fun / inexpensive / feasible and run with it.

When it comes to the rebuilding / refinishing stuff I'm all about the pawn shop wonders. I love to pick up junker basses as test beds for fun new ideas. You can get 'em for cheap and you never run the risk of ruining something that's worth money (until you get your system sorted out, anyway). Worst case scenario, you're out a few bucks. Best case scenario, you've suddenly got an instrument with some personal or even financial value. Not a bad trade off, if you ask me.

-Nate

3. thats actually what im doing with the p-bass, i bought it at a pawn shop about 3 years ago for 80.00 (MIM) and just kinda played around with it, (this was back when i was still playing guitar).
    started playing bass seriously about a year ago and always told myself that once i had another bass to play on, i was going to do something fun with this one, so now i am........just not sure exactly what yet