1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

inspiration

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cosmicevan, May 12, 2006.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    where do you draw your inspiration from? musically or non-musically? most importantly...creatively?

musically, i find that i get most inspired by non-bassists and non-musical things. definitely by sound. but there are certain drummers, guitarists, keyboardists who do things with sound that boggle my mind. i guess i'm more inspired by sound. ofcourse, there is a laundry list of bassists that inspire me, but as far as pushing the envelope and doing something new, you'll always be standing on the shoulders of giants in whatever you do, unless you lock yourself in a room with nothing.

so what inspires you? to write? to play? to learn?

go nuts! let this get interesting!

2. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    As a player, I'm inspired by artists who expand the boundaries of what can be done. When I hear these people play, it makes me want to improve the way I do my own thing. I've always been big on players like John Pattitucci, and Vic Wooten, and lately, I'm stuck-on -stupid listening to Jean Baudin.

Creatively, I'm rarely influenced by anything musical. I come up with a lot of my ideas during elk-hunting season while hiking through the woods all by myself. Also, my creativity seems to thrive on sadness. I've got tons of sad memories locked away in my brain just waiting to be called upon to inspire a tune. The funny thing is, I'm really not a very sad person, I guess it's just my deep-seeded "goth-ness"

3. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    i think that's because sadness is such an easy emotion to convey. i once heard a quote, i think it was from paul simon, but i'm not 100% sure. whoever it was, said something like - sure great art comes from great sadness, but i don't recommend ruining your life to write a song.

4. i gain insperation from evry player i have met or talked to, i find that peoples personalitys come out in their music, so i found that changeing my attitude from "i wanna be in a band" to "i want to create music" has had a possitive effect on my music, and evrytime i talk to another player i learn something new. when i wanna write songs i just walk around the house singing about toast and stuff, then after a while my brain, kinda goes into poetry mode, and songs are easy to come up with, then i play a bass line, and can come up with lyrics eaily, one problem with this method though the other day i was walking around singing, and i wassent paying attention to where i was going, and fell down the stairs, i was fine, thank god im young