Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inspiration

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bottomdweller, Feb 2, 2003.

1. I've been listening to Macy Gray's first album along with some newer Santana music and have gotten more inspiration from that than I did from 25 years of rock music. I heard a newer LL Cool J song "Paradise" and it has a great bassline. Miami by Will Smith is cool too. I guess I was a bit suprised to be inspired by pop music. I feel a bit strange jamming on my bass along with a Will Smith tune.

I guess I was wondering were so of you get your inspiration. Is it from unlikely places? And aren't some these "unknown" studio players really underated?

2. What I usually do when I hear a cool bassline is try to figure out what theyre doing without really listneing closely to their note selection and sometimes i come up with a neat sounding bassline that doesn't sound anything like the original song. Thats probably the only upside of being tone deaf. Does anybody else ever do that?

3. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    I LOVE every song on the first Macy Gray CD.
    Greg Richling who plays most of the bass on that record isn't really a studio cat, he plays bass for the Wallflowers but happens to 'sit' in on alot of projects.
    He is one tasty player, both with groove AND tone. Plays mostly Jazz basses.

4. I seem to get inspiration from many things. I'll see how someone is talkin' to someone else and then come up with something in my head. Or I'll sit in my classroom and be bored while the teacher talks and just think of a bassline out of nowhere. It's pretty wierd.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    From earth, thought, view, and within.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    That Miami song youre jamming to isnt really a Will Smith song- for the life of me i cant ememeber what it is , but like most of his stuff it is a resampled tune from the 70's- for example Men in Black is a resampling of Patrice Rushens " Forget me Not" which fetaures Patrice , a very accomplished jazz keyboardist , also playing bass on the track-- man , i wish i remembered how Miami went- i cant seem to recall the original...

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

I think you just defined the aural tradition in language (and music)and its natural evolution;)

AJ

8. Cool input. I was kind of thinking that the Will Smith tune was a sample.
    Anyone checked out the bassline to Rio by Duran Duran? It came on the other day on an 80's radio show and i was digging that line. I hadn't heard the song in years and never really noticed the bass part. I was pretty young when it was popular.

"What I usually do when I hear a cool bassline is try to figure out what theyre doing without really listneing closely to their note selection and sometimes i come up with a neat sounding bassline that doesn't sound anything like the original song. Thats probably the only upside of being tone deaf. Does anybody else ever do that?"

Yeah,I've come up with some cool stuff doing that. It's like you cop the feel of something and make it your own. Cool.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    in a way- when i think about it- over the last 30 years, my bass vocabulary consists of stuff i have ripped off, and bastardizations thereof-- ok, maybe 2 % is actually original ideas :rolleyes: :)

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The Will Smith cut is from the The Whispers' And The Beat Goes On A.G. and what's up! I thought that "Ready" Freddie Washington played bass on Forget Me Nots?

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    thanks, ebozzz!! it was drivivng me nuts- i also heard elsewhere that Freddie washington played on forget me notsa recently- i dont know why i thought it was Patrice Rushenn- ill have to research why i though that-- thanks agin, bro!!- still waititng to hear on those pups- ill call again tomorrow!!- peace, ADrian

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks Big Bro. I would appreciate anything that you're able to find out on those pups. You're Da Man as usual! ;)