Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Ok, i gotta admit im a bit of a profile pervert, i tend to 75% of the time look at peoples profiles who reply to me and i seem to be a little let down by peoples inspirations lists....not by amount (i know mines huge) but by the lack of diversity, and by that i mean, most people only list bassists..i mean why? as a bassist dont you gather inspiration from vocalists? drummers? guitarists? i know i do...another thing i noticed most people around my age (18) always seem to list Victor Wooten, Claypool and Flea, ill admit i adore flea, but wooten :eyebrow: ....dont see nothing special there, except that he's worthy of a g3 wankfest role....but wankfesting doesnt seem to be as effective on bass as it does on guitar :ninja: :D
  2. It's a bass board, so naturally we're all inspired by bassists and I assume that's what most people are interested in reading in other's profiles. I have a couple bassists and a couple bands in mine.

Also, Wooten is surprisingly musical in actual band situations when he's not soloing.
  3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Mix Master Mike is the best DJ in the world!

Miles Davis, pure genius!

Wes Montgomery

Wayne Shorter

Terri Lynn Carrigon (sp?)

Tori Amos, please don't hurt me.

Chuck Mangione

Mike Stern

they are as countless as the bass players i love!
  4. well duh this is a bass forum, but most people here say "open your mind" or "diversity is the key to life".....

ive heard lot of wooten stuff, especiall the Gov't Mule Deeper end dvd, i found jason newstead to be more intersting than wooten :ninja: .....what really gets me about wooten is that his playing sounds sorta machine like, that its so perfect and spot on that theres no human factor, even joe satriani makes mistakes, but when i hear wooten play it seems to me like im listening to a midi file, not in terms of tone, but in means of no human factor, it just doesnt excite me, flea live is where its at, whats happend to the good ol days of bands like parliament where 14 people up on stage just jam out basically
  5. wow bustin, i think this is one of the first threads where ya not havin a go at me :p ...but after having another look at my list it cut half of them off :bawl: , continues on with

Erykah badu
    Meshell ndegeochello
    Wayne Shorter
    Wierd Al
    Barry White
    Issac Hayes
    Leo Sayer :ninja:
    Bobby Womack
    Diana Krall
    George of the guys at my local music store said benson must be an alien, he's look the same for the past 30-40 years :D
    Herbie Hancock (of course)
    John Coltrane
    James Brown
    Louis Armstrong
    Aretha Franklin
    Ray Charles
    The Muppets :D
    Tito Puente
    Saturday Night Live Band
    :D :D
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

whats happend to the good ol days of bands like parliament where 14 people up on stage just jam out basically

Funny thing is, that's the band I was most reminded of when I saw Wooten a couple of months ago. Regi sure looks like a refugee from Parliament, in any case.:cool:

I guess it's time to edit my "influences" section, before you check it out. It'd read something like this:

Rocky and Bullwinkle
  7. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Quite frankly Mr. Great, I'm disturbed by your posting. You've openly admitted to being the peeping tom of the site! I feel so........violated! How dare you look at me unthreaded! :scowl:
  8. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Nino inspired me to try & build my own bass... Wish I had known he worked for Sadowsky, PRIOR to ordering custom parts!!! hehe.
  9. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Good list. We could add pages to it but I guess I'll only offer up the one name that's still HUGE in my mind: Stan Getz. Anone called "the tone" should be studied. I would love to have the feel for any instrument he had for the sax.
  10. the origional cartoon, or the newish movie? :smug: :D
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I haven't seen the movie. Is it any good? I'm old enough to have seen the cartoons when they originally came out, although a lot of the political satire was way over my head at the time.

BTW, my impressions of Wooten were similar to yours, but I took a chance on a live show anyway, and that really changed my mind. Maybe my prejudices about Claypool and Flea would change some too, if I saw them live. I like 'em both, but always seem to feel like I want just a bit more from them.
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Psh. Yes, Vic can get wanksome, but there are some pretty intense, non-wanksome songs that he's written. There's nothing even resembling wanking on his double-CD set "Yin Yang" -- it's all groove. My buddy called it "mood music" once. Listen to Overjoyed, or Justice -- both from his wanksomest album ever. Beautiful songs, full of musicality, and, while still technically impressive, FAR from wanksome.

I list bass influences because there's not enough ROOM to put my non-bass references, and on a bass forum, I thought it would be more sensible to put bass influences. As a good rule of thumb, if I've been influenced by a bass player, I've probably been influenced by anyone in the band.
  13. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    i'm influenced in some way by every record i see or every musician i see play live i think.

even if it's just "must remember never to play like that" or "mix that key"
  14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    good musicians. whatever they do, or play.