Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inspired by other thread, bass & drums?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Figjam, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just wondering how many of you play drums also. Id think that since they are both in the rhythm section, perhaps quite a few. The drummer in my band keeps his kit at my house because it is where we practice so i play on it, and im a 'decent' drummer.

So any of you who play drums, what's your setup? What kit, what cymbals?

2. I used to have this really cool, old, silver sparkle Slingerland Gene Krupa 4 piece with high hats and 2 cymbals. I sold it because I sucked. And I had no place to put it. But I did suck. I don't even pretend to play drums anymore.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I played 20 years before starting the bass. I started the bass because I was never satisfied with the bassists I played with. If you want it done right you have to do it yourself.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I played drums for 16 years before switching to Bass.

My kit is an 8 piece Pearl. Two 22" kicks, 12", 12" and 13" upper toms, two 16" floor toms, and a 14" snare. Ludwig speed king pedals, Zildjian 14" hi-hats, 4 crashes (16" paper thin, 16" medium thin, 17" thin, 18" rock crash) and a 22" ride cymbal. Sabian splash, and a Paiste color sound China boy. Stands and other hardware are a mix of Yamaha, CB700, Pearl and Ludwig. Heads are Remo Pin Stripe on everything but the snare, which is a Remo Black Dot. Preferred sticks are Pro Mark 5B plastic tip.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    White Mapex 5 piece with Zildjian and Sabian. I'm not a drummer but it's nice to have one in the house for rehearsals and impromptu jams.

6. No but I worship Neal Peart more than about any bass player. Does that count for something? :p

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Drums are my main instrument. Blasphemy, I know. I've been playing since '91 and bass since '95 or therebouts.

My kit is a five piece woodhoop that I built with Keller shells. Cymbals are a mix of Istanbul, Sabian, and Zildjian. Favorite snare is a 13x6" Dunnett Classic stainless steel, and I have a maple Pork Pie 13x5 with bubinga wood hoops that I record with a lot.

8. I use to own a 5 piece Blue pearl drum kit with 2 splashes Crash,ride with a timbalae
    I use to drum for a reggae band in the 80's then I sold my kit and brought a bass and haven't looked back since :bassist:
    But now and again I jam on the drums when oppurnity knocks
    ( Man my spelling suxs LoL )

9. I've been playing drums for 34 years. My current set up is a Tama kit: 10", 12" 13" 16" toms, 22" B.D. and a 5.5"x14" Pearl Masters Series S.D. Cymbals are Zildjian A and A Custom with New Beat hats.

Learning to play bass has really changed my approach to the kit. I find myself leaving a lot more space than I used to.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

Big +1 to that.

I find myself not trying to be the "fill king" anymore, and just concentrating on nailing down the beat.

I find my approach to the Bass to be similar, too.

11. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I have a Gretsch 4 peice with 3 zildjian cymbals. I learned bass before I learned drums. I think bass helped me out with having a natural rythem for the drums.

12. I have a pretty crappy set, but it works.

Stag bass 22" 10, 12, 16" toms, an additional no name 16" floor tom
    Pearl Chad Smith sig snare
    Pearl low end double bass pedal
    Sabian B8 cymbals, and 2 wuhan chinas
    And an additional no name Sabian crash ride thing, is a great jazz cymbal.

And some other stuff, primarily promark sticks.

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I have been playing drums for about a year...

Roland V-Drums.... but i want a real set... but its just to noisy, so for now, its all triggers.