Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Insta-Stage Stole My Low End

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chaosMK, Nov 12, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Last night I played at a venue that had an "insta-stage." It was a sturdy unfoldable thing that came in a few segments and held up the band's weigh solidly. Trouble was, it robbed- no, defeated- my low end. We were also projecting into a pretty big room maybe 15' high, 35x50. I use 2 4x10s and a 300 watt tube amp. You figure I'd be set.

The whole show (which was 2 45 minute sets, 1 1/2 hours) I was trying to fix my sound. We still put on a good performance (a few drinks during the intermission cooled me off and improved my stage moves later on) but Insta Stage kicked my ass.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

That's exactly the kind of situation the Gramma pad is meant to address. You might want to check one out, they actually do work pretty well in my experience. You might need a few for your rig though, could get expensive. :meh:

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Do you think something like that would work? I thought my problem was not having a solid enough surface for the bass to push onto.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Been there! Any stage that is hollow underneath is bad for bassists. I did a gig at Windows On The World at the [now gone] World Trade Center and I was getting this horrible resonance that just could not be eq'd out. I had no Gramma and nothing to raise my amp off the stage. I basically had to turn down way low [too low] for the rest of the gig. We even tried turning my rig down all the way and using the monitors and the same thing happened! I was so happy when the gig was over! Ugh!

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Your soundman should have been able to easily compensate for any low-end lost from your amp being on the folding stage, surely the PA cabs were on the floor, right?

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    PA's were up in the air, everything but bass going through them (bass drum not sounding very powerful at all). The soundman was pretty bad at this one too. He seemed like a crossbreed of Bouncer and Frat Boy.

He had the guitar mic'ed with a vocal mic dangling down from its cable. At one point the microphone fell out of the jack and there was a scene of drunken friends were crawling under the Insta Stage trying to find it. When it was finally plugged back in, it sounded worse than without it!

According to some video footage, the bass wasnt as bad as I thought projected out and didnt even sound as distorted/resonant as it did on stage. I guess I am used to my rig having the fury that it does in our rehearsal area or clubs with tighter accoustics.

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    A good soundman you can TRUST is very hard to find. Our soundman, who'd been with us for years, has just retired and we're trying out people, it's a bitch.

8. callofthebow

callofthebow

Oct 19, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    insta stage at a frat party, i had to boost the bass alot to get an even sound, and even then, it sounded really aggressive onstage, i don't even want to think about what it sounded like in the crowd.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

It might work, from my experience. It's meant to alleviate that problem by preventing the bass cab from ringing the stage through physical contact. When that happens, much of your low frequency information is dissipated by the stage, and everything either goes boomy or mushy. I play on one bogus hollow stage with subs underneath the stage. The Gramma helps noticeably in that venue.

Sound provider issues are another issue altogether. Temporary stages are a nightmare sometimes for the sound guy, so if you can reduce your input to the problem somehow that's a very good thing.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH

So, you didn't bring your own soundman. Your fault then, not theirs. Get your own soundman. Choose a good one, pay him well. If you don't, your sound to the crowd is at the mercy of someone who doesn't know you at all. You might as well use a different drummer at each gig . . . .