1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Instagram/YouTube bass cover videos. How to remove the bass from the original?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Syl_Funky_bass, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Syl_Funky_bass

Syl_Funky_bass

Jun 4, 2016
    Hi All,

I've been trying to make bass cover videos (Instagram/YouTube) lately and I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the bass from the original tunes (mostly mp3 files) in the most efficient way. I have FL Studio 12 and audacity on my computer.

By knowing how to do this properly I would also be able have some nice bass backing tracks for practicing home.

Thanks in advance guys.

Best regards,

Syl

2. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    How you do something like this is going to differ slightly from song to song, and the quality of the results will vary from song to song, but it's not too difficult.

The main problem is removing the bass frequencies without eliminating the kick from the mix. You need the kick or else you won't really be able to practice properly.

You're going to need a parametric EQ, then you just cut the low-middle frequencies. You're going to have to play around with the frequency, width and amount of the cut that you make every time you do a different song though. And some songs will just sound pretty bad if you do this.

3. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    In short-you can't. There are several half-way solutions you could try. You can cut lows and/or low mids to lessen the bass guitar but it will affect everything in the mix. You could get a stereo imager and turn the center (mono) stuff down, but it will affect everything in the mix. You could try a multiband compressor and use it to lessen the frequencies where the bass is most prominent, but... it will affect everything. You could try a regular compressor with a side chain input tuned to the frequencies the bass is most prominent in but the drums and possibly vocals will trigger it too.

You can't "remove" it unless you have the multitrack files and can mute the track.

Joe Lonsdale and Reedt2000 like this.
  4. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Ooooooooh I have an idea. It will more or less remove the thump from the kick too and thin the vocal out a bit but it should leave most other stuff more or less intact.

Make two copies of the track in your DAW. On one track, put a high pass filter at... say... 300hz? Put a low pass filter on the other copy at the same frequency. On the low frequency track, after the eq, put a stereo imager plugin on and pull down the center channel / mono signal. I've never tried it but with some tweaking it may work...

5. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Tried something more or less along these lines. Sounded pretty awful, truthfully. But I'm also not an engineer with a real DAW.

6. Joe Lonsdale

Joe Lonsdale

Jan 12, 2019
    You may have trouble posting your covers with original music behind you. YouTube et al are very copyright conscious at the moment. Karaoke backing track websites will often have sound-a-like tracks available for $1 or so that may have the option to download without bass.

7. Ian McLaughlin

Ian McLaughlin

Aug 11, 2018
    What I wanna know is how they get those isolated bass tracks, like the RHCP BSSM Flea recording, man, that is cool!

Sorry, I have nothing to add for the OP.

8. Joe Lonsdale

Joe Lonsdale

Jan 12, 2019
    They have been leaked by a naughty sound engineer with access to the original multitrack recordings and have made their way through the fetid mire that is the internet...

Ian McLaughlin likes this.
  9. Joe Lonsdale

Joe Lonsdale

Jan 12, 2019
    I should add that if your bass playing is significantly louder than the bass on the record, you'll get away with it.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021