Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Install a new set of Bartolini pickups for my Curbow

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, Mar 8, 2005.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    I'm considering to buy a new set of Bartolini pickups for my Curbow 6 sting bass as the old one have installed to the bass for nearly 10 years already. But one question come to my mind is that, the Bartolini PU that installed into my bass is the old version I believe, there are no any srew holes on the surface of the PU, the Screw holes are located on the back of the body. (Shown in Picture.a and Picture.b) But for the new version of Bartolini PU, the screw holes were located on the surface of the PU (Shown in Picture.c), I would like to know is it possible to install those new version PUs to my bass :confused: . Any Curbow users face this problem before? or any suggestions? All input are appreciated! ;)

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

All I can really make out in that pic is you have soaps.

You can measure the pups and go to the Bart site (Bartolini.net) and see if they have matching dimensions. If the dimensions work, then you can either screw the pups into the body of the bass or if they miraculously line up with the existing holes through the body, use those. If the pup dimensions don't match, then the screw holes are not an issue.

Soaps can have any pup design with them and Barts vary a lot in tone but most people don't replace Barts with Barts. Why not leave the existing pups in it? Some of the older Barts have better tone than some newer models (especially considering they may have been custom wound for that bass) though the output will likely be higher in the new pup. But if you have enough amp, pup output really doesn't matter.