1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Install Active PUPS on a Passive PBass???Does bridge size really matter?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shawshank72, Apr 1, 2009.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    :help:I own a japanese fernandes with active pickups that thumps but it weighs a ton and hard for my back back. I own a Electra pbass that is perfect in every way but the bad pickups. Can a passive bass be modified to active pups or is this a no-no in the bass world??? And also, does size really matter in deep sound and thump? Cause i see people with these fenders who have the typical fender bridge and the basses thump. wish i had $1k+ to spend on one.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Depends on your definition of 'thump'.

Yes, you can put active pickups in a passive bass.

However, are you sure the pickups are active, or does the Fernandes have an active 2 or 3-band preamp in it. If it has a preamp, then the pickups are likely passive.

3. so, are u talking about the fernandes or the electra?

if it's about the electra...why putting an activ pickup? there are alot of passive pups out there with a very hot output. it's easyer that way, and in my opinion, alot better.

get a good passive "P" pickup and u're good to go.

4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    They are active, f.g.i. technology pups which are just basically emg's.

5. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Been trying passive pups and nothing works, put in duncans are they were useless. Tried dimarzio but were too light in the loafers

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Did the bass have active pickups to start with? Did you change the pots when you tried the passive Duncan and Dimarzios?

Those pickups are not light sounding, you should get a ton of low end. It's not all about the pickups though. it's also the strings you are using, your amp, and the way the amp's EQ is set.

A real P bass have pretty bright sounding pickups unless you EQ it to get a fatter tone.

A larger bridge might get you more sustain and a fuller tone, but it might not be the tone you are looking for if you want thump.

Have you tried flat would strings?

7. I put an EMG active P pickup in my Yamaha Fretless that had a P-type Pickup in it originaly and I'm more than happy with the results - a large "Fat" tone with plenty of power to it, ther bass seems much more "alive" now.

As to the bridge - I suggest something heavy in Brass and maybe fitting a Brass Nut as well.