1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Install P pickup in a Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dwagner, Mar 8, 2013.

1. I'm looking to add a P pickup to my VM Jazz. I'd like to have the P pickup replace the neck J pickup so it's basically your average P/J setup. How much would it cost for such a rout and installation (not including pickup price)? It'd be practical for the volume knob that used to control the J neck could just be used to control the P pickup, and the remaining J bridge and tone knobs remain.

Thoughts?

2. For around $100, you could probably snag a Squier PJ bass.

I'll be routing my Jazz bass (partly for weight reduction and also to drop a P in the neck position.). I'm using borrowed tools so it will be free. If you are pricing a Luthier, plan on around $30-50 an hour and that sounds like a few hours...

I'll start a build thread when it gets a little closer. I'll be using a Marcus Miller control cover ( keeping all the routing under the pickguard). Got a P pickup on it's way. The top part of the guard will be a standard P pickguard, custom cut (by me) to work with the MM control cover pieces. I'm hoping to get a pound or more off of her and probably just run it with the P solo'ed.

3. If you replace the neck pup for a P pup you will get hum when using both pickups. The hum will be cancelled when using the P pup soloed. To get rid of that you should install a cancelling-hum jazz pup at the bridge

4. Not for a lefty! ;)

Thanks for the info, I never would have thought of that.