Installation instruction rant.......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike N, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The other day I had to replace my dishwasher. I've done a few of these before, so it isnt a problem for me. After installing the new one, I was tucking away the paperwork when I decided to peruse the instruction sheet.

Now it's been a while since I've read instructions on anything, and it used to be that they were text only with no pictures (and the text would typically be printed in several languages to accomodate everybody). The written instructions would be easy to follow, such as "shut off circuit breaker" or "using a 5/16" socket, disconnect the...."

This particular instruction sheet was pictures only, with no text. There were pics of the dishwasher, with arrows pointing to certain hookups, or pointing the direction I was supposed to push it under the counter, a water shutoff valve with a slash drawn through it, etc.....

My rant is if I had to rely on the "instructions", they would have confused me more than they would have helped me. Pictures are nice, but some text would be helpful too.

Anyone else run into something similar??
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

YES!!! Another person suffering this. Alot of the auto manuals are like this. Shows how to take some things apart, but in the case of of the few things I had to fix they didnt mention much.

The washer and fryer we have was like this also. Was your dishwasher a Whirlpool?? Mine were. Granted a washer and dryer are easy to install. But we could not figure out the self balance and manual. Different from any washer Ive seen.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The illiterates have ruined it for the rest of us. I hate picture instructions, unless the pic is a supplement to point out the location of something that would otherwise be hard to find.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    [Lennie voice]I like duh preddy pictures, George.[/Lennie voice]

brad cook
  5. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    I love it when i know which books these things come from

Anybody else think Of Mice and Men is one hell of a book?