1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Installation time for two pickups and two push/pull pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lord Trau, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Lord Trau

Lord Trau

Oct 21, 2007
    California
    Copywriter, Dunlop Manufacturing
    Hey guys, how long would it typically take for a tech to install two pickups and two series/parallel push/pull pots in a Jazz?

2. I assume you have split-coil pickups which you'd like to switch from series to parallel?(within each one, I mean).
    I'd say 2 to 3 hours should do.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    As long as there is no routing, I'd do something like that in about an hour, two tops.

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I'd even say 30 minutes, but give an hour in case there are issues. I may not squawk at 2 hours, but I'd really want to see that done in an hour. If you can provide a wiring diagram, it'd go that much faster. Then again, I'd say....why not give it a go yourself? Unless you cannot solder - soldering something like this is not super difficult, but you'd need to be decent at it at least. But hey, if you can solder decently, DIY. Learn about it at the same time.

5. It would take me 20 minutes, plus the time for the iron to warm up.

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    That's kind of what I was thinking, but I didn't want to brag!
    ;)

7. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    My iron heats up in about 20 seconds, but I have to wait for the pot of coffee to brew... ;)

I was also counting removing the old parts, getting it back in tune, etc. Rushing just causes scratches!

I charge a flat fee for that kind of thing, so it doesn't really matter how long it takes.

8. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    SGD - Yes, of course. And it is perfectly reasonable for a luthier to charge a fair price. I am sure you would. 'Twere I, I'd expect a luthier to quote me an hour. :)

9. Dude-I know you're really good, but, c'mon- It's a rebuild. Remove strings, remove knobs, control plate, jackplate, cut or desolder pickup leads, remove old pickups, remove old pots from control plate, install new pickups, install new push/pull pots onto control plate, wire new pots with all the little jumpers required, reinstall control plate/output jack, reinstall knobs or fit new ones if required, re-string bass, set pickup height, test, find a problem, troubleshoot.......20 minutes? Don't think so. No way. 2 hrs minimum.

10. Well, the OP was asking how long "to install two pickups and two series/parallel push/pull pots in a Jazz?"

I was referring to how long it takes to do just that. If you factor in all the other work involved, probably an hour.

I don't mean to sound all high and mighty or anything, because no one can do all of this in 20 minutes. I was talking about just the rewiring alone.

11. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I disagree. 1 hour - tops. TOPS!

12. Lord Trau

Lord Trau

Oct 21, 2007
    California
    I went down to check out the work today, and the tech said the pickups were waaaay too noisy (DiMarzio Model Js). He installed the two pup pots as well as the master tone phaser.

ANy of you guys know how this might happen?

13. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    He probably has the two sides of the pickup wired incorrectly... they have to be wired out of phase or they will not hum cancel.

Did he follow Dimarzio's diagram? (Red is hot, black and white are the series connection, green is ground)

Also the drain (bare) wire has to be grounded.

I've used those pickups and they are dead quiet.

I think you need to find a new tech.

Oh, and what's a "tone phaser"?

14. Lord Trau

Lord Trau

Oct 21, 2007
    California
    I may have the name wrong, but it's something phase or other. He said he followed the DiMarzio diagram. It has the two pickup push/pulls and then one for the tone pot, that's the "phase" one.

15. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Putting the two pickups out of phase is pretty useless on a bass.

I think he needs to check the wiring again. They shouldn't be noisy.

16. Lord Trau

Lord Trau

Oct 21, 2007
    California
    Hopefully that's what he's doing today. I really want the push/pulls.

17. Lord Trau

Lord Trau

Oct 21, 2007
    California
    He says he has followed the DiMarzio diagram.

Today he told me the only way to quiet it down was to roll the treble off completely. Is that a clue at all for what could be going wrong?

I have searched and only found diagrams for one series/parallel pushpot. Do you guys know of a diagram showing how both pickups are wired to pushpots?

18. A well-rested, not too-rushed techhie could do a nice job start-to-finish in no more than 2 hours I'd think.

19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it has happened to me before that the dimarzio wires were actually wrong! i had to reverse the wires of one coil, then it hum-canceled like it was supposed to. maybe he should try that. (unless he says both pickups are noisy, then yeah, he's doing it wrong.)

as for the original question, since it would take me an hour or two (i work in a store, so i get about 2 minutes between each phone call or other interruption), you could get it back maybe a week or two later:D

20. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    He's missing a shield ground somewhere. High pitched buzzing is electrostatic interference. You get rid of that with shielding. So either he missed a ground wire on the pickups, or it's the rest of the circuitry that needs better shielding.

You wire the push/pull pots the same way as the toggle switches. You just wire each pickup to a different switch on the pot.