Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installed a Gotoh 201 on my Peavey Milestone

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stinsok, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I replaced the Fender style bridge this afternoon. While there was not much change in tone, it seems to be a bit clearer and the bass has a different feel to it(positive change.) The Gotoh is a nicely made piece.

2. I was thinking of replacing the Fender bridge on my Jazz bass. I was looking at these, and maybe I'll try it.

It sounds like you're happy with yours.

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It was about 50.00 cheaper than a Badass, and you don't have to file the saddles. It will be a direct fit for your Fender. You can order them from Warmoth for 23.00

4. I think that's what I'll do.

Thanks.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have one that I'm putting on a P-Bass & one on a Warmoth J bass & they're very nice bridges, especially for the money!!!!

6. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    why bother putting on an after-market bridge if it does nothing?i put a bad-ass on my p-bass and noticed a major difference,it sounds like you are justifying the up-grade just to have a "better" bridge, did you ever think it's 50.00 cheaper for a reason? my experience with bass parts ,"you get what you pay for" so thanx for the review ,i'll stick with the bad ass!:bassist:

7. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    The Gotoh is at least as well made(probably better) than Badass IMO. It just costs a lot less.

8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    When I was researching both bridges, I checked here first. There are some who installed the BA and had little improvement. The Gotoh did make a positive impact on tone, but it did not turn my bass into a super tone monster. In the time since purchasing the Gotoh, I looked at a couple of BA's up close. I don't see where it would be worth 50.00 more. The construction and finish of the Gotoh was as good or better than the BA.

9. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    hey you are the one who said it made little to no difference,now you are changing it around,i dont personally care what bridge you use just stick to your guns and stand behind what you say thats all!:confused:

10. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i re-read yor post and i noticed you have a peavey milestone,no disrespect but i now see why you noticed no difference in tone,the bridge adds on to what you have and if you have little to work with then its not even worth swapping bridges,i would of advised not even altering the bass,i'm not dissing you in any way,i've owned peaveys and i will never do so again ! i'm not against them,i'm just not for them,they are kind of bland ,i would of suggested a change of p/ups as well as a new bridge,now we are talking some change in sound!:bassist:

11. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The Peavey Milestone is certainly no high end bass. I have owned Fender Jazzes(American) in the past but had to start over. I am starting back with the Peavey. I did install an SD Quarter Pound pickup in the Peavey and that was a HUGE difference. I installed the bridge after the pickups and the difference was not as dramatic. I read that you can't polish a turd but you can stick a flag in it! The bass has a pretty decent sound now.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WHat are you talking about? He is sticking to his guns.

How did he not stick to his guns?:rolleyes:

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Woah! I guess that you've never played a Cirrus or a Millennium geezer? They may not be your thing but I would hardly describe either as being bland.