Installed Bass Master Pro, have question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by SleeperMan2000, Apr 16, 2003.

1. SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    I installed the Bass Master Pro I bought from Bob Gollihur and I have a small question.

The instructions and website show the piezo pickups installed on tailpiece side of the bridge. In both the instructions and the website picture there appears to be enough room for the width of the piezo element to be completely resting on the bridge wood with about an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch gap to the strings.

There is not that much width on my bridge, which I figured out when I began to install it. So in order ot keep the 1/8 inch gap to the string, my piezos ended up over the edge of the carved holes in the bridge. Is this a problem? Should I move the piezo's closer to the string so they are completely resting on the bridge wood? Or is having a little bit of them "off the wood" a problem?

It sounds pretty good so far. But I'm thinking I may want to resintall the piezos. Thanks for including extra double sided tape, Bob!
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    If there is only a small amount, say, no more than about 20% of the disc, you should be ok. I had the same situation with one of my old adjustable bridges on my Kay and it never was a problem.

The original K&K instructions had the quad transducers on the top of the bridge. I prefer and recommend the bottom, since most bridges will have a curvature on the fingerboard side of the bridge, plus they are less prominent when put on the bottom. But either will do.

If you ever need more tape, just holler.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I used to have a BMP, and I found that the best place to stick those transducers is anywhere on the bass they sound good to you. On my bass, they tended to sound better to my ears the further I got them from the strings, so I stuck them on the bridge legs, down by the feet. Just experiment and go with what sounds best. You can also use any old two-sided tape to stick them on when experimenting, and then use the stuff from (ALL HAIL) Bob when you find the sweet spot. Happy hunting!
  4. SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC

Thanks for the response! I play around til I find the sweet spot.