Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installed Dunlop Straploks; Should they be shaking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jodathmorr, Jan 20, 2003.

1. I didn't drill any holes in my guitar because the default ones were big enough. They are almost flush with the body except for less than a mm of space. The holders shake when i shake the guitar and that kinda bothers me. The screws don't want to go in anymore and i don't want to strip the screws any more than i have. Anyone have advice to make it a little tighter?

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yes, they all shake.

3. no, that shouldn't happen. i can't really tell what's wrong by your description. what exactly is shaking?

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    No, I was serious. The top part of the strap locks, not the part that goes into the body, always shakes. it even shakes when i play. Not standing up, standing up, the downforce on them should make them not "rattle" on my 2 dunlop straplock installed bass, they always shake. it's perfectly normal. I know what your talking about, i think, and it's fine. Like loose around the top? so that it kinda shakes right?

5. Exactially. I guess i shouldn't worry but i'd like to get the bottom lock a little tighter. Any advice for turning stripped screws?

6. oh, i thought you had just the female end on there and it was shaking. no, what you're talking about has nothing to do with the screw.

7. No no. The female end is the one thats shaking. The screw woun't go in any farther so there is space between the screw head and the bottom of the female piece. The one closest to the neck is pretty tight but the bottom one is kinda loose.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Huh? are you getting top and bottom confused?

The female part shouldnt rattle at all, it has no parts that even COULD rattle. i have NO idea what your talking about.

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Guys, this is simple....the strap button that mounts to the body itself is loose, since the screws are longer than his pilot holes. When I run into this, I simply use the screws that come from the factory (the ones that came on the bass, not the straplock screws). If that doesn't work, you can carefully deepen the hole with the appropriate drill bit, or just keep screwing them down untill they are tight.....I am assuming this may risk splitting the wood if you have a long ways to go. But whatever you do, DON'T leave them loose, they will definitely strip out if you leave them loose to where the screw can be bent around while supporting the bass.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The only way you should tighten this up is by drilling out the hole to the proper depth for the screw that you're using.

The last set I tried to install had a screw that was fairly soft. I stripped the head using a screwdriver with the proper sized tip, turning by hand. No fun.

BTW the upper strap button on my Zon has a stripped screw head and is loose like the one described here. It hasn't stripped out and I've been using it for about five years. One of these days I'll fix it;)

11. Well the dunlop screws are a tad wider than the default ones. Im scared that if i take the dunlops out and put the default ones back in that the hole will be very very loose. Should I be scared?

Also, if i take the dunlop screws out I think that they will be stripped for life and i woun't be able to use them again.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You'll need a wood screw with a head that will fit into the strap button correctly.

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    then my advice is to marry her.....oh wait, nevermind!!!!! :D

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  15. do you have the little ring of felt that goes under the strap button? you should have kept it for under the straplock...

16. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    The same with my dunlop straplocks on my corvette proline but it happens just with the top part of the strap locks, the screw fits perfectly to the female part:D

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    this has happened to me several times- the screws that come with the dunlops- which you must use, others wont flush thru the pin to allow the strap to be attached- go in deeper than conventional ones- the answer, like Brad said, is to drill a little further- dont try to screw then in or you will strip or worse break the screw- i broke a screw off in a very expensive F bass- no fun, i agree- so just tape the drill bit at the same lenghth as the screw- ( actually the exposed lenghth of the screw after you put it thru the strap pin- and the screws should go in easily- my straplocks dont rattle or shake at all- good luck!!- A.

18. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    I wouldn't drill the hole by myself, the wood can be damaged very easy (I've seen many destroyed top horns, caused by that "strap" drilling) the best thing you can do is to take your bass to your luthier and let him fix it, don't mess with the wood.

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ok, then- dont mess with the wood....:)