Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by opivy3056, Apr 26, 2005.

1. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Hey whats up.

A few days ago I noticed that when I had my new barts put on my jazz, the tech put the bridge pickup in the neck position (it barely fits) and the neck in the bridge (theres a ton of space on the sides)........ :rollno:

Is this a big deal? The neck pickup seems a lot quieter than the bridge pickup when soloed. Will putting the pickups back in order give me a better sound?

And.......should I have to pay for this? Or will they fix it for free cause they screwed it up?

thanks for your help
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, kind of an absent-minded tech. I think you should take it back, and get it done right. I don't think you should pay for it to get redone. I wouldn't charge you, but then again, I would have done it right the first time.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I don't think you could put a bridge pup in a neck position without a hammer and a real soft body.

Some J's ARE equal length neck and bridge - it's something you have to pay attention to when you buy. My guess is, if you measure those pups, you'll find they are in actuality the same length. The bridge only looks smaller because the routing is larger. So the pups probably are in their appropriate positions. He should have informed you of the situation before he stuck them in.

The neck should be 2 to 3 times louder at the same volume control level by virtue of it's location - given the same pup. And that is usually about what it is with matched sets as well. It's possible they could be wired out of phase (which is pretty hard to do with 2 lead Barts cause one lead is bare ground). If you crank both volumes (or center the blend) and run volume off your amp, the volumes should be about as described. Out of phase is easy to tell with two volumes cause if one pup is set at half volume and the other is turned from off to full, it will become louder then weaker as the volumes equal then grow loud again. Harder to tell with a blend - but you can tell something isn't right.

I'd call the tech first and tell him what you know. If the wiring is screwed up, it will definitely sound better when straightened out.

By the way, exactly which Barts, what is the harness makeup, and what pups were removed?
  4. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    the ones used are 9K1-L/S

he took out the stock fender single coils.
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Thats interesting. All longs and all shorts are not exactly the same size and they do vary a bit so apparently with the right combo, you could pull swapping them off.

I've had 9k's but they're long gone. From what I recall, they were more midrange and bright with less low end than typical Bart J's.

But if he screwed up the lengths, no telling what happened in the control cavity.

Did you contact him and, if so, what did he say?