Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installed the K&K Pure Bass in my Tacoma Thunderchief tonight...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Sep 26, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ...:eek:

Amazing sound! Very woody and natural sounding, and plenty of output with no preamp!

I bought a K&K "Ultra Pure Bass" transducer and preamp rig from our very own Bob Gollihur . Unfortunately, the onboard preamp wouldn't fit in my Tacoma due to the small size of the paisley soundhole and the arrangement of the top braces, so I did a straight passive installation - the transducers come prewired to a quality endpin jack. Luckily, my Tacoma came predrilled for a endpin jack, so that part was easy.

My arms are too big to fit through that little soundhole, so I bribed my guitarist to do the inside work. Installation involves supergluing the two transducers to the inside of the bridgeplate. He only glued a transducer to his fingers once, and lost minimal skin. :D

Afterwards, we first plugged into his SWR California Blonde acoustic amp. Wow! Very natural tone, with passive output equivalent to his active Ibanez acoustic guitar. We then plugged into my G-K 400RB / Peavey 1516 practice rig with good results.

I'm going to exchange the Ultra Pure preamp for a K&K external preamp, which will allow volume and tone control. I have to say I'm very impressed with the sound of the K&K pickup - minimal piezo quack, and the quality of the sound is equivalent to a well-miked acoustic guitar. The price was right, too! :D

2. I ordered a bass from Bob and I am looking at a similar type of pick up set up. Your post was helpful. I am a new member.

3. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Wondering how the K&K has worked out since you installed it?

Am ordering a new handmade acoustic from K Yairi and deciding between a Dtar Wavelength piezo or a K&K Pure Bass or the stock fishman Prefix Pro

Thanks

Robert

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nice thread resurrection!

I am jealous. I have wanted to replace the piezo in my Thunderchief with a K+K since I installed the Pure Western Mini in my Seagull guitar. Unbelievable tone from that pickup. If the Thunderchief had a conventional soundhole I would have done the work myself (I did the installation in my Seagull).

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    heya Heavy D!
    I have that same setup in my CB10F and I love it. I also set it up without the internal preamp, and use the single channel K&K Pure beltpack unit. My only problem has been feedback. I have thought about wiring the K&K transducers to the input of the Fishman onboard pre.

I pulled the preamps out of mine prior to installing the K&K's and was able to do the install with only a few scrapes. Ideally I would have done it as a "fun project" with my skinny nephew! Who would turn down a chance to play with superglue?

Anyhow, I'm working on a way to block off the soundhole. I found the luthier in Washington State, (I think) who makes these nice Tacoma soundhole plugs, but he has not replied to any emails. If I find the link to his site I'll post it.