Installed the K&K Pure Bass in my Tacoma Thunderchief tonight...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Sep 26, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL

Amazing sound! Very woody and natural sounding, and plenty of output with no preamp!

I bought a K&K "Ultra Pure Bass" transducer and preamp rig from our very own Bob Gollihur . Unfortunately, the onboard preamp wouldn't fit in my Tacoma due to the small size of the paisley soundhole and the arrangement of the top braces, so I did a straight passive installation - the transducers come prewired to a quality endpin jack. Luckily, my Tacoma came predrilled for a endpin jack, so that part was easy.

My arms are too big to fit through that little soundhole, so I bribed my guitarist to do the inside work. Installation involves supergluing the two transducers to the inside of the bridgeplate. He only glued a transducer to his fingers once, and lost minimal skin. :D

Afterwards, we first plugged into his SWR California Blonde acoustic amp. Wow! Very natural tone, with passive output equivalent to his active Ibanez acoustic guitar. We then plugged into my G-K 400RB / Peavey 1516 practice rig with good results.

I'm going to exchange the Ultra Pure preamp for a K&K external preamp, which will allow volume and tone control. I have to say I'm very impressed with the sound of the K&K pickup - minimal piezo quack, and the quality of the sound is equivalent to a well-miked acoustic guitar. The price was right, too! :D
  2. I ordered a bass from Bob and I am looking at a similar type of pick up set up. Your post was helpful. I am a new member.
  3. Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Wondering how the K&K has worked out since you installed it?

Am ordering a new handmade acoustic from K Yairi and deciding between a Dtar Wavelength piezo or a K&K Pure Bass or the stock fishman Prefix Pro

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nice thread resurrection!

I am jealous. I have wanted to replace the piezo in my Thunderchief with a K+K since I installed the Pure Western Mini in my Seagull guitar. Unbelievable tone from that pickup. If the Thunderchief had a conventional soundhole I would have done the work myself (I did the installation in my Seagull).
  5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    heya Heavy D!
    I have that same setup in my CB10F and I love it. I also set it up without the internal preamp, and use the single channel K&K Pure beltpack unit. My only problem has been feedback. I have thought about wiring the K&K transducers to the input of the Fishman onboard pre.

I pulled the preamps out of mine prior to installing the K&K's and was able to do the install with only a few scrapes. Ideally I would have done it as a "fun project" with my skinny nephew! Who would turn down a chance to play with superglue?

Anyhow, I'm working on a way to block off the soundhole. I found the luthier in Washington State, (I think) who makes these nice Tacoma soundhole plugs, but he has not replied to any emails. If I find the link to his site I'll post it.