1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Installing 3 emg p bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Filthybass, Jul 25, 2012.

1. I have a chance to do something I always wanted to do,install 3 emg p bass pickups..in a 88 jackson dinky p bass,think it might sound to bassy?

2. Nope. It sure won't. You could compare it to the pup configuration that B.C.Rich used in the 80's, with one more P-pup added towards the f/board, of course.
    Back in the day, I had a Fender U.S. Bullet Bass that I modded with 2 DiMarzio P-pups back in the 80's. Awesome tone, to say the least. I don't mean to sound negative, but I think going out & purchasing 3 P-pups is a little overkill, that is unless you already have 'em in your possession, and wanna put 'em to good use.
    Also, installing them in a "reversed" position (think Spector) REALLY, REALLY improves the tone of a P-pup. No more will you hear that pillowy, woofy tone. With the pups reversed, I wanna say that they take on more of a punchier tone, with more bark and bite, and note definition.

3. The question is far too subjective to be answered in any meaningful way. We know nothing of your tonal preferences, or how you will be installing the pickups.

4. Im open for suggestions,i have almost 40 basses,always looking for different tones,and yes I have pups already

5. I have a few of the jackson bodys with no pu holes,so I thought I would try it

6. I don't know if these are EMGs, but it looks like this bass has 3 P pups moodys2w.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    adding more pickups doesn't make it louder or "more bassy", it just makes for extra sounds, most of which aren't that great, or are hard to tell apart from the normal sounds.

8. Thanks for all the replys..just wanna experience different tones studio wise etc

9. You can get plenty of volume chaining a bunch of coils in series. (Though it's doubtful it would sound good with all of that inductance.) That can't be done without multiple batteries with active EMGs, though.

10. I did..and love it!!!

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It can't be done at all with EMGs because you'd run current through the preamps.

12. Current is the "push" behind the voltage, and the relationship between the two is determined by the resistance. You're already running current through the preamps, but I would not be concerned about how much at all. The current output from a pickup is extremely low. There should be no danger to any component in the circuit by increasing it.

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Preamps are built inside EMG pickups so the issue is the opposite.
    If you run them series you are going to push what comes out of the preamp into the coils and it is likely to damage them.

14. You can run quite a bit of current through 42 or 43 gauge (Or whatever they wind them with) wire before the insulation will melt, relative to how much current is put out when the coils transduce string movement. I don't see how this would be any different with active pickups than passive pickups, anyway. Just because there is a buffer on each coil, does not mean things work any differently. The only thing you need to watch out for is that the coils' negative phase leads share a ground with the buffer, which means several batteries will be required.