Installing a battery box in an ached back body?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Mar 21, 2011.

1. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    A local guy wants me to do this in his Spector bass. Never done one in a concave backed bass any advice? Thanks guys....Tom

2. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Is it possible to sink the box further into the body than the curve is? Or is the body too thin?

Warwick has the control cavity on the back of the bass matching the curve of the body.

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    I would think if you align the box parallel to the neck, the body's curvature over the ~1.2" width of the battery vox wouldn't be too significant.

I am probably wrong though.

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Well I was hoping to not answer this, where are you going to mount it Tom? Above the control plate, towards the center to the right, under the bridge area??? There are different approaches to doing this and getting a good outcome. Also, are you going to do a 1 piece box, or are you doing a route with a recessed lid?

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Tom, you may also want to consider using a "flat" battery box, that has the battery sitting "broad side" down (not as deep). EP-0929-023.jpg

6. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks guys I will take some measurements it is a p-J I need to check and see if it can go in front of the control cavity towards the lower bout or if that puts me too close to the p pup. Will get back to you all. the customer supplied the standard stew-mac box..tom

7. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Here it is. There is enough depth to the body. But it is a tight fit the box is laid on the top to show how close the fit is to the "P" pup. How do you lay a routing template on a concave body or do you freehand it with a laminate trimmer being a smaller base would that work easier to get it started? Thanks

Attached Files:

8. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Seeing as how the battery box itself is flat, it would seem that a flat template would do.

I'd just use a rectangular piece of 1/4" or so material, so that you could get the clamps on and still have room for the router.........that or hog it out and use a smaller tool, like a dremel with a router base, to countersink the edges of the lip.

9. CH Design

CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    How would you put a flat template on a concave surface? Would you use a really small template so that if fit really close to the body?

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Yes. The narrow portion of the rectangle would be "with" the concave area and the long area has no change (therefore, you can clamp that area). You need a flat area for the router to rest on, otherwise it gets kind of difficult.

11. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    ok...time for the repairmans answer to this querry. Styrofoam. Tape off the body where the box is going to go, get your template out, and arrange it as needed. Take some styrofoam and cut thin rectangles to place under the template and fill under the gaps at the center of the template. This allows you to firmly clamp your template in place without clamping the edges into the concave surface and still getting a positive clamping without movement of the template.

You can also achieve this by making a thicker template with the approximate curve, and using styrofoam wedges to fill at the edges of the template. either way you can use a template, be accurate, and not foul the body at the same time.

BTW, I am not saying the way I do things are any better or worse than anyone elses ideas, I am just relaying what works in my shop for me.

12. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks very cool will work on this tomorrow..... carefully..;)

13. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Should be just fine, the styrofoam gives the template grip, as long as it's aligned properly, you will be fine.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021