1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Installing a cooling fan?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CieloInterno, Feb 19, 2004.

1. CieloInterno

CieloInterno

Dec 30, 2003
    Southern CA
    Hey everyone

I've noticed that my amp (Carvin PB 200-15) gets pretty hot when I start to push it, and I saw that one of the reviews at harmony central suggests that installing a cooling fan really improves its reliability.

So does anyone know what kind of fan to get, how much it'll cost and how to go about installing it in my amp?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I don't know how much it would cost, but if you're handy with electronics, you can buy a little computer fan, and mount that on the inside. I'm also planning on doing this with my Fender Bassman head, as it gets really hot after a while as well. So hot in fact, the switch is too hot to turn it off! :eek: If you don't know how to install one, i'm sure a tech could install it, although I'd email carvin first to make sure that you don't void the warranty doing it.

3. just buy one of those clip fans from the dollar store and clip onto the amp, thats what i did with my sm-400 and ive driven it pretty damn far and it hasnt shut down or anything.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I second this. It's the simplest solution.

I went through all this a while ago and ended up buying 2 x 12volt fans and an adapter to power them. But instead of modifying the amp, I screwed them into my home-made wooden rack case. My amp can't get hot if it tried! But if I had to go through it again, I'd just get a clip-on and be done with it.

5. CieloInterno

CieloInterno

Dec 30, 2003
    Southern CA
    Hmm... well I guess I'll just go pick one up at WalMart and see how it goes

Thanks for the replies

:bassist:

6. I went to Radio Shack and picked up a $20 3" computer fan, I drilled 2 holes in the top rail of the back of my rack case and mounted the fan hanging down to pull the hot air out of the rack case. I affixed a 2 prong plug to the end of the wires of the fan and plugged it into the power supply. Total cost around $25, total time about 2.5 hours (shopping measuring drilling, screwing, plugging...ummm...). And I'm not the handiest of the mechanical type kinda guys. I have an SM-900 that was not liking pushing a 2x15 @ 4 ohms in bridge mode, the thing got so hot you honestly could not touch the handle on the input side, and instead of just shutting down, the output fuse would blow. I've been using it closer to it's limits pushing 4 ohms per channel and the thing doesn't get hot with the fan mounted.

7. I did exactly the same thing with a 2 space SKB. I've got an Alembic pre and a EV Dynacord in the rack. The EV gets really hot at 8 ohms bridged. I bolted the computer fan into 2 of the rack holes and drilled a hole along the top and bottom rails. It is remarkable how much cooler the amps stays.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    And it will last twice as long with active cooling!

9. I thought that only tube amps got hot, you guys must be pushing those things pretty hard (plus a rack is great way to keep the heat in).

10. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    hmmm pretty sure that ss amps generate a fair amount of heat due to not being 100% efficient, hence the large heatsinks/heatsink+fan cooling on them that get warm/hot to the touch