Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Installing A DI Out Groundlift

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Winston TK, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    In a recent post regarding the numerous merits of the new Yorkville XS400H bass head, I stated that the single solitary complaint about this unit was the lack of a groundlift for the DI out.

I really like everything else about this unit (especially the price).

Would it be possible for a qualified technician to install a groundlift switch for the DI out on this amp? I realize, of course, that this will void the product warranty. But, with the addition of this feature, this amp would be virtually perfect.

Also, what about the possibility of installing a level control for the DI out?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Instead of actually doing this to the amp (and voiding the warranty), why not do this externally? Get a little metal box, put XLR jacks on it, add a ground-lift switch and a potentiometer. Amp will be unaffected.

3. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    I guess the other possibility is just to save up for a really good quality DI box, maybe even a tube one. The combined price of such a unit (at least $400.00) plus the price of the Yorkville would still be less than other bass head models that already have a groundlift and level control built in.

From what I've already read/heard, no built-in DI system is as good quality as higher end stand-alone DI units anyway. The only drawback here being the fact that with a stand-alone external unit, you aren't ever getting the particular character of your own amp.

Any thoughts?

4. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Basically, the problem was excessive hum, especially when not touching the strings on the bass. And, in one or two cases, slightly less than ideal level going to the board requiring a fair bit of trim boost. At each venue of this latest mini-tour we just completed, for one reason or another, the soundperson felt the need to use a house DI box.

This is a real shame, because I really like the tuner mute function of the Yorkville XS400H. Up until now, I've been using a simple A/B box to route the signal exclusively to my tuner when tuning. I'd like to eventually give up this extra production and simply use the amp's mute circuit. Oh, well....one of these days maybe.

It's too bad that more soundpeople don't just mic the bass cab. On the rare occasions in the past that this was actually done, my tone in the mains was killer. I guess more often than not, the problem is one of mic availability. (Or, that soundpeople don't want to bother tweaking the level of the bass if the bassist makes any volume corrections on stage.) But, I've got a Sennheiser 421, which is a more-than-adequate bass cab mic. Maybe I should consider keeping this in my gig bag in the future.

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    On DI's w/o a ground lift:

I use an XLR with the Ground Pin removed.

[​IMG]

6. IMO, buy a Countryman Type 85 that comes with a ground lift, and leave your amp alone.