Installing a distortion IN a guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Minger, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Aight, this is going to be stupid...but since my Agile has 4 knobs, I may have some fun with it, who knows:

I want to install a distortion into my guitar.

I mean, it wouldn't be pretty, and I'd have to figure out how to control it, but figure the LP copy has what...4 knobs....and the switch....

Alrite, now this is starting to sound stupid. Anybody ever try sometin like this?
  2. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    If you go over to they have a pot that u replace your tone knob with. It's an internal gain switch or something like that.
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY

27 bucks...Might as well go for the Boss DS-1 then.

Gotta love bein cheap.
  4. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Steal the processor out of this .
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fenderx, whoever wrote your sig line is a genius!
  6. The Black Ice from Stewart Macdonald is pretty cool, but it's not really a heavy distortion. It just adds some crunch. It might sound cool in a bass, but I only have one in my guitar.
  7. im pretty sure that there are "distortion pickups" around for guitars.
  8. "Distortion pickups" such as the Dimarzio Super Distortion, are just pickups with a higher output signal.

There are some very simple fuzz and distortion circuits you could stick in your guitar however. Try for some great JFET designs, or some of the effects on

The "classic" fuzz is the Dallas Arbiter Fuzzface, which has a number of clones. It's all of two transistors and a few resistors and caps, easy to breadboard (just make the silicon NPN version, forget the obsolete germanium transistors).
  9. Matt Bellamy from muse has numerous effects built into his guitars, such as a Zvex fuzz factory if i recall correctly...
  10. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    True dat, and this thread just made me think of a line of guitars that was out in the 70's the MPC Electra's (anyone remember those?) that had a system of interchangable effects modules you'd put in the guitar's control cavity, the used to make various copies (mainly Gibson style) and a couple designs of their own.

11. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

This must be the some of the ugliest instruments I have ever seen.